Do I really need a medical bag?

For school and clinical assessment testing we were required to have some sort of neuro testing kit.  That was the only place I used it, though.  Once out on rotations I, too, carried a stethoscope and a quick reference pocket guide.  That was it.

Yep all I ever bring on rotations is my stethoscope which I wear around my neck, and if the rotation requires me to wear a white coat, then I keep it in my white coat.  Rooms all have oto/optho scopes.  On surgery I did need my pen light for PERRL testing which I kept in my pocket.  For our neuro exam they recommended a tool kit.  I just put my tuning fork and reflex hammer in my white coat pocket and shoved the extra crap (test tubes for scent) in a plastic bag.  For sharp/dull sensory testing I used a q-tip in the exam room, broken in half.  This is not the 1950s and no one needs a medical bag.  When I brought lunch to work (which would be the only thing a medical bag would've ever been useful for) I just carried it in a plastic bag.  When I did on-call for surg I had my extra clothes in a backpack.

Archived