Disability.....thoughts.

I was torturing patients in the early 80's with Zomax, chymopapain for HNP's, and still trying to figure out what this immune deficiency syndrome out of Africa was.

I was an er tech in the 80s. I'm guessing you are probably 10 yrs older than me.

Hatched in '59.  I blame DeSoto and Gage for getting me into this mess, along with Dr. Welby and his Santa Monica martini lunches every week with his blazer and captain's hat.  Sadly, I just confirmed that my second of two ED SP's is no longer in practice (for a VA reference).  They are all dying off, retiring, or just disappearing (as my first ED SP did).

Hatched in '59.  I blame DeSoto and Gage for getting me into this mess, along with Dr. Welby and his Santa Monica martini lunches every week with his blazer and captain's hat.  Sadly, I just confirmed that my second of two ED SP's is no longer in practice (for a VA reference).  They are all dying off, retiring, or just disappearing (as my first ED SP did).

yup 10 yrs on the dot.

I blame DeSoto and Gage for getting me into this mess

Those two got a lot of people into this mess :)

When a couple of the docs in my office were writing exam questions for the new ABEM EMS board certification, I lobbied for including some "Emergency" trivia questions.  I consider it to be core content for anyone in EMS!

If you're interested in this topic - reading/listening to the Planet Money/This American Life episode on this one is pretty fascinating....

http://apps.npr.org/unfit-for-work/

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/490/trends-with-benefits

I have L/T disability through my employer, but purchased a supplemental policy that is "own occupation" (pays if I can't work as a PA) when I learned that my employer's policy is taxable - i.e., it pays at 60% of my base salary now were I to go on disability, but the IRS then taxes that 60% as it's a "benefit" and taxable in turn.  Living on 60% of my current salary would be tough.  But living on that minus taxes would be pretty much impossible.  That's what pushed me to do the research and get an own-occ policy that makes up the difference.  After investing so much into this occupation (time, education, training) it's worth the insurance in my mind.  Something to research/keep in mind when considering your own coverage. 

Guest Paula

^^^  If I come on my own, can we go to Mackinac Island and see if Jane Seymour is still running around trying to find Christopher Reeve at the Grand Hotel (Somewhere in Time)?  A visit with Jane at the lake's edge would make everything better. 

Isn't she Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman?  She could sign you disability papers.  

She was (though sadly, I never watched it)!  A walk along the lake's edge, her removing the residual tissue on my face from a shaving nick with her handkerchief, and I pull out a present day pen/disability papers for her to sign and it brings me back to the future with her reaching out for me with papers left unsigned :-(.  I then wouldn't need them signed because I would just sit in front of the window staring out and fade into the light (as charges to my Amex racked up day after day).

To bring this back into the PA world, my first knowledge of her was while attending a regional PA conference as a first year student in OKC back in '82.  The movie was on TV and I was the only member of six ready to go to sleep.  Needless to say, I woke up quickly.  Another highlight of the trip?  My roommate, 27 at the time, stepped out onto the frozen swimming pool at a Howard Johnson's and took a couple of steps since the temp was ~2 degrees F.  Coldest I've ever been...until Jane set me afire.

Also getting back to the disability issue, be aware that any SS disability payout also decreases the payout of the disability policy.

Guest Paula

I will need to rent that movie. She probably won't set me on fire though and Christopher Reeve was never my idea of superman.  LOL!

Guest Paula

I'm going to get it!  My husband loves movies like this and we sit on the couch and blubber together!  OK, now, back to the thread. 

We celebrate 30 years of marriage tomorrow!!!!

Archived