First job offer - advice please!

Hello. I will be a new grad with extensive prior HCE as a CNA and in research and coming from a competitive program. My ideal jobs were EM or hospitalist but this is a FM practice that I interviewed with and I do also enjoy FM (prefer sick pts tho). It is a pretty good location for me in a non rural under served area. I am a couple months out from graduating and this was my first interview. It's a nice facility and seems well organized.

85k first 3 mos during training period then 90k after (going to ask for 95 to see what happens)

Malpractice bennies 401k retirement covered

1K CME

10 day paid vacation and 5 paid holidays

3% profit share which wasn't elaborated on and said some years there may be no profit

Shifts are 8-5 or 11-8 and alternating Saturday 9-5 with subsequent one weekday off

The doc is very enthusiastic about teaching which I really liked a lot and wants someone to teach from the ground up. They have another PA who has worked about a decade who also said they are happy to teach. MAs triage all pts and is EMR. Sounds like average pt load once I'm confident is 20-25 ppd.

What do you guys think? Also please please advice to negotiate and what should I negotiate for? Thanks as always. I really like this position but it was my first interview and I'm a little hesitant to potentially lose out on something better.

if they have that type of patient volume it is not unreasonable to ask for low 90's. However, you are new and will need a lot of support. Regardless of how many years someone is a CNA they will need a ton of support as a new PA. After 1-2 years you could propose a larger salary boost than cost of living especially if you have a clear patient following. Or you could segue into ED or IM. I think family med is a great way to build a foundation esp with two senior clinicians to give you guidance. 

Is there such a things as extensive HCE experience as a CNA?  Not to be argumentative or elitist here, but CNA experience did not count as HCE when I went to PA school.  If that is your experience, you will find that you will need plenty of support as you start, as others have alluded. Make sure you take a job where you will get that nurturing.

Archived