Why it is hard to get into derm?

• Administrator

Some people (physicians as well as PAs) choose their specialty based on the lifestyle expectations, and Dermatology is (rightly or wrongly) perceived as a specialty where there is minimal or no call or after-hours emergencies AND office hours are predominantly daytimes. The PAs I know who work in EM have little to no call (when they're off, there's someone else in the ED), but do work rotating shifts, so I don't personally understand why Derm is envisioned as the ultimate in easy PA lifestyle.

• 3 months later...

Primarily Cash so few if any insurance reimbursement hassles

No Call so no one calling at 3am about their rosacea

No Weekends because pimples are only important Mon-Fri 8-5

Little to NO Poop/Snot/Blood

Very Few Smelly People

Few if any Emergencies that can't be handled with application of direct pressure

Primarily "Production Work" so get paid well if you do well at selling creams and jellies and procedures.

Malpractice risk minimal when compared to most other areas of medicine

Just the first thoughts off my head...

YMMV

Contrarian

Wow, Contrarian, really?! I'm new to the forum and have found it very uplifting, honest and encouraging- until now. Perhaps I'm reading more into your comments than I should, but as a skin nut who loves everything from cancer removal to cosmetic procedures and all the smelly things in between (yes!, we have smelly,too), I find your words demeaning to a highly skilled and passionate group of medical professionals. I work 10 hour days and 3 Saturdays a month, and I'm not even a PA yet!! So, you see, there are some of us who do it for the love of the craft, not just because its the perceived easier route to take.

In the PA world, there's room for everyone's skill and talent, and no one is more or less important than the next -- can't we all just get along?

Wow, Contrarian, really?! I'm new to the forum and have found it very uplifting, honest and encouraging- until now. Perhaps I'm reading more into your comments than I should, but as a skin nut who loves everything from cancer removal to cosmetic procedures and all the smelly things in between (yes!, we have smelly,too), I find your words demeaning to a highly skilled and passionate group of medical professionals. I work 10 hour days and 3 Saturdays a month, and I'm not even a PA yet!! So, you see, there are some of us who do it for the love of the craft, not just because its the perceived easier route to take.

In the PA world, there's room for everyone's skill and talent, and no one is more or less important than the next -- can't we all just get along?

Er, I didn't read anything in C's comments against derm providers...just some quick obs about the specialty.

Every specialty has its own humorous stereotypes- which are often based in fact.

Derm is the perennial whipping boy for being a "banker's hours" specialty.

There's a reason med students call it the "R.O.A.D." to happiness (Radiology, Opthalmology, Anesthesia, Derm)

Carry a sense of humor with you!

Wow, Contrarian, really?!

Yes REALLY..!!!

Derm is one of the KNOWN "Lifestyle" ... "Quality of Life" specialties.

After about 25-30yrs in healthcare... YOU may begin to see patterns and fully understand how certain specialties generally operate and in turn understand WHY the residencies that lead to those specialties are in demand and uber competative to secure a seat in...

NOTHING I wrote in the previous post demeans anyone... but of course... what's coming will... :heheh:

It seems like YOU decided to click on this thread with your Mas·och·ist costume on....

Mas·och·ist

Gratification gained from pain, deprivation, degradation, etc., inflicted or imposed on oneself, either as a result of one's own actions or the actions of others, especially the tendency to seek this form of gratification.

Yeah, if you aren't familiar with Contrarian, it's easy to take something the wrong way. He means no harm (because he took that oath, "First, do no harm"). I took my derm job for all the reasons he stated. No call, no emergency acne cases, I know pretty much when my day is gonna end and no one ever asked me to work a weekend or stay 7 hours after I was supposed to go home because of some unforeseen development. All of which happens in other fields that I've been in. He's not saying that we don't work hard or that our work is not important, he's just pointing out why lots of people want to get into derm. And he jealous! Ha ha

• 1 year later...

Archived