NSAIDS for fx's?

Had a discussion with one of my sp's yesterday about using nsaids as an adjunct pain med in fractures ....I tend to avoid due to effect on bone healing (?theoretical) but will rx in addition to opioid in very minor, non displaced adult fx's in the ED. My sp told me evidence of nsaid effect on bone healing is ONLY theoretical and can use for essentially any fracture (save for hip fx's, pelvic fx's i assume) . Not sure if I buy this statement. Your thoughts?

Yes, theoretically (laboratory & animals studies). However, clinical studies lacking or insufficient data. I think for minor fx's, the use of NSAIDs as an adjunct therapy is OK. NSAIDs use post major surgery e.g spinal fusion not OK usually first few weeks post spinal surgery. Anyway. I suggest you do a literature search.

Oh sure but I'm thinking of all the nonsurgical fx I treat. Far more of those than surgical.

to 

data was for HIGH dose in the studies

I give 200mg TID for the fracture patients - seems to help a lot

Oh sure but I'm thinking of all the nonsurgical fx I treat. Far more of those than surgical.

to clairfy my above statement

this is only for patients I see in express care that are simple non-surgical fractures - ie non-displaced medial mal fx in otherwise healthy (good kidney function) younger person

Surgery patients - heck I don't deal with them post op

nasty fractures - not my field

simple little fractures that will be casted and heal on their own - 200mg Ibu TID, then some T3 of vicodin is usually more then enough - 

data was for HIGH dose in the studies

I give 200mg TID for the fracture patients - seems to help a lot

to clairfy my above statement

this is only for patients I see in express care that are simple non-surgical fractures - ie non-displaced medial mal fx in otherwise healthy (good kidney function) younger person

Surgery patients - heck I don't deal with them post op

nasty fractures - not my field

simple little fractures that will be casted and heal on their own - 200mg Ibu TID, then some T3 of vicodin is usually more then enough - 

Archived