"Draining the lung"

Has anyone ever heard of a procedure used to "drain the fluid from the lungs" in severe CHF through aspirating the fluid in the lung (not the plural space)? I am taking prerequisites for school now, and one of my professors (who is a FMG) mentioned this procedure, called it a thoracentesis, but specifically stated you're going into the lung, not the plural space.  Does this procedure exist, abet under a different name?   It was also mentioned that you could put a "tube" into the lung and leave it there, similar to an NG, to drain blood from the lungs.   

All I can find on thoracentesis is draining from the plural space, taking care to avoid the lung; have you ever heard it done puncturing the lung specifically?

No. He either misspoke, is ignorant, or you misunderstood. Puncturing the lung would only cause a pneumothorax.

No. He either misspoke, is ignorant, or you misunderstood. Puncturing the lung would only cause a pneumothorax.

This is accurate - someone has their wires crossed. Thoracentesis withdraws fluid from the pleural space. The presence of a pleural effusion is fairly common in CHF so he might have meant this.

The "lung fluid"/pulmonary edema in CHF is in the interstitial space (initially) and the alveoli (later). Inserting a needle would have no effect.

Please do no assume I am ignorant of medical terminology and procedures purely because I am not in PA school yet. There is much I have to learn, but I am going in with experience. I have observed both thoracentesis and a chest tube placement. The procedure my professor was describing didn't sound "right" so I asked for clarification, wondering if he was using the term lung for brevity purposes and actually meant the plural space. He insisted no, it was the lung that you punctured to drain the fluid from. I am already skeptical of things said by this teacher, due to him giving bad information in the past, but I didn't want to let my bias against him cause me to automatically assume this procedure doesn't exist, hence asking it here, to see if it was perhaps a rare, or old procedure that I couldn't find through googling.

Oneal, thank for for your information.

Definitely not thoracentesis which is, as you know, removing fluid from the pleural space.

As for CHF with severe pulmonary edema and volume overload, there are some cardiac centers that are doing aquapheresis (also called ultrafiltration) when the patient doesn't tolerate heavy diuresis or does not respond adequately. At this time it is mostly used as palliative treatment for the most severe class IV HF patients and is outrageously expensive (requires on average a 36-48hr ICU bed). Think of it like dialysis for the heart. They actually do use a dialyzer for this. I haven't seen it done so not quite sure on the details. Here's a brief overview...worth a lit search.

http://www.healthline.com/health-blogs/tech-medicine/aquapheresis-new-treatment-heart-failure-part-1#5

• 2 weeks later...

Ultrafiltration (UF) is just the rate of fluid removal during renal replacement therapy. It can be performed with or without solute removal to achieve net negative fluid balance. If patients can't hemodynamically tolerate the large fluid shifts of intermittent hemodialysis, but still need fluid removal and are anuric, they can have  CVVHD with a slow rate of UF for fluid removal. We do it all the time in the ICU for patients that are fluid overloaded but otherwise don't need dialysis. The dialysis access and equipment would be exactly the same, settings differ.

Archived