Clinicals away from school

many programs either don't let you set up your own rotations or limit the # you can set up for yourself. this makes some sense. if someone set up all of their own rotations with friends/relatives/etc the quality might not be up to the standards of the program.

^^ I agreed. Why the decision? If it's to be close to family or significant other, it's very unlikely that any school would allow it. If your plan is to relocate. If you have a job offer say in the ED. I would rotate with the ED group + doing your elective with the group as well. Just my 2c

Assuming your school will let you -- and the clinical coordinator there is the best resource for that -- it may actually be easier to set up rotations in one hospital. That minimizes the paperwork the school does to get a site agreement. The school might also be happy because it moves one student out of the local area where, possibly, there may be a shortage of rotations, or competitions for sites with other nearby programs.

That said, the big thing is that our clinicals are a huge part of the learning experience. They need to be rigorous and they will take a lot of your time and attention. Just be sure why you want to do this and understand some of the factors involved.

Good luck.

Archived