I recently interviewed for  two urgent care position and one of the urgent care is own my PA (co-owned ?) , The owner PA told me his supervising physician is a OB/GYN doctor  . So my question is ..can urgent supervising Physician be from any any specialty or specific IM , FP or ER certified . 

thanks 

I actually was in this same boat, briefly, for a few months.  We quickly changed out the Ob/Gyn (good friend of mine) for a FP SP, which was much more kosher.  PAs should not preform outside the scope of practice of the SP.  My Ob/Gyn friend felt that urgent care/FP was not outside his scope, but a court or other regulators would differ.

Check state law on that aspect. My state says that my SP must practice in the area of medicine that I practice in. Unless your OB/GYN or Neuro SP now practices urgent care/primary care, I would run that by your state medical board. They may have something different to say.

Good luck.

George Brothers PA-C

Guest Paula

Thanks jmj11 , so you  say OB/GYN can be SP for FP/Urgent care . I have a friend who is in Neurology , can he be my SP if I chose to have FP/or urgent care clinic in partnership with him . 

thanks

I don't think jmj is really saying it is appropriate for OB/GYN to be an SP for FP/Urgent care.  His situation was temporary.  I actually left a family practice when the FP doc's  contract was not renewed and an IM doc was hired instead.  It was sticky for about a year or so even though he assured me he was ok with FP scope of practice.  He however refused to see kids or do any women's health.  He was BC in Internal Medicine and wouldn't see anyone under age 18.  So when my contract was over with the health professional loan payback program I felt it was best to look elsewhere for another job.  The tribe refused to understand my SOP and state laws.  It is important to know what your state law says about SOP and the SP.  You want to protect your license and livelihood. 

Archived