Post PA degree options

What type of medicine do you practice ?  Your looking to use this degree as a segue towards new career options ? or just force you to study and become a better clinician with clinical credentials ?  Will your hospital or practice help fund this degree/training?

A public health degree can help you understand research methods and the health care infrastructure better and also provide credentials for career in mgmt, policy, academics. If you do not have a masters through PA education you could do one of those Masters distance PA degrees. I believe they let you focus in a specialty area. AT Still has one I believe. 

If all you wanted was more clinical training I would probably recommend a different route than a degree ... for example attend specialty conferences, gain certificats. If you practice ER medicine consider ATLS, advanced burn mgmt, advanced airway courses etc.

I'm currently a PA student and I was mainly just inquiring to see what all is out there and if anything in particular is common practice post PA graduation in regards to further degrees. Several of my professors have obtained their doctorates in subjects such as health science. Do these degrees give a person any particular edge on acquiring jobs, obtaining further responsibility, or ability to work outside of the US? Do any of you who have acquired X degree feel as if it has improved your clinical skills?

I do not think a DHSc provides much edge in terms of clinical employment. if you want to develop the best skills as quickly as possible consider doing a residency. that is a smart move in my opinion, unless you are interested in primary care. 

i did further training in public health and I can read a clinical study better than 90% of clinicians. This allows me to figure what studies apply best to my patients. But if that was your sole motivation in obtaining an MPH it is not worth it. 

A DHSc will not help you at all clinically. If you have an interest in certain types of research (applied), global health projects, administrative positions, or education, it will help.

Otherwise, if furthering your clinical education is your primary objective, I agree with the above. A residency is the way to go.

Mike

see my thread on the DHSc in the recovery room area of the forum. it's a permanent sticky.

agree that a residency is best for clinical purposes. an mph can help with many jobs, especially federal positions. a doctorate also helps a lot if you want to teach, work for the state dept, etc.

my DHSc will include most of an mph(stats, epi, research methodology, etc) + about 20 more credits of global health by the time I am done.

because of the way I have structured my degree with all my field time for my applied research projects in Haiti I am actually learning a lot about tropical medicine, austere medicine practice, infectious dz, etc so do expect some increased clinical and leadership skills in the long term due to this.by the time I am done next spring( I hope) I will have something like 10 weeks in Haiti working at austere/rural clinics. That is enough to apply to take the certificate in tropical medicine exam from the American society of tropical medicine.

1. Mayo Clinic intensive diabetes training http://www.mayo.edu/cme/special-topics-in-health-care-2013r139-2
2. American College of Rheumatology Advanced Training for PAs and NPs. http://www.rheumatology.org/Education/Profmeetingcourses/Advanced_Rheumatology_Course_Online/
3. Am College of Gastroenterology has a hepatitis fellowship course but it's a resident training not online https://www.aasld.org/awards/aasld/Pages/ClinicalHepatologyFellowshipProgram.aspx
4. Wound Care Certification Training http://www.nawccb.org/wound-care-certification
5. You can also be ACLS/PALS/BCLS instructor
All these grant CMEs also. I'm sure there's much more out there just depends on what's your specialty and interest.

Not degree options but are clinically relevant.

JamesC

There are also the NCCPA CAQs available. Not a degree but a certification in a field of medicine indicating experience and training. More residencies are developing, usually in the surgical, inpatient and Emed areas where PAs find a majority of employment. I would definitely recommend one of those if able and available after PA school. Times have changed and this is a good way to develop knowledge and skills you didn't get in school.

While a stretch in terms of clinical relevance, I have met PAs that have gotten degrees after PA school in education, informatics, business and law. I don't think those degrees have done much for them clinically but it has allowed them to make a full time or part time jump into a medicine related area more successfully.

George

Archived