Master's programs for working PAs

I am looking hard at getting my master's within the next year or two, its been a year already since I graduated with a BS in PA studies. I live and work in the NYC area, have a busy schedule working 5 days a week M-F and recently accepted a second position at the same hospital for Saturdays in a different specialty and weighing several options around me. I am looking to advance my career (possibly supervising at some point or doing administration) while continuing to work clinically which continues to be exciting to me.

I would appreciate the input of any forum members who have attended these programs or any others in the NYC area or have any additional information they would like to share.

University of Nebraska, MPAS - PROS: distance learning, $5,430 total fees, can fit my current schedule, no GRE and easy admission requirements. CONS: how well do employers value a degree from a DLP versus say Stony Brook or NYU if one was to later apply for work at a competitive world renown hospital (say NYP)?

http://www.unmc.edu/alliedhealth/padlp.htm

Stony Brook University, MS - PROS: hybrid - distance learning mixed with onsite at either LI campus or Manhattan campus, no GRE, excellent facilities. CONS: requires at least one course be taken at LI campus.

http://www.hsc.stonybrook.edu/shtm/papmp/curriculum.cfm

Arizona School of Health Science

http://www.atsu.edu/ashs/online_programs/physician_assistant/index.htm

St. Francis University

http://www.francis.edu/MMShome.htm

I am also looking at the NYU MPH and wondering if any practicing PAs had a MBA and what positions they held within their hospital (and if they feel that an MBA gave them a certain advantage). I should note that studying for the GRE for 6-12 months is a CON for me at this time, as I already spend a large amount of time weekly studying medicine but would consider it if it was a significant help to my career.

http://steinhardt.nyu.edu/nutrition/public_health/mph/

Thanks for your advice.

I am a SB alum; I did the UNMC MPAS.

I didn't weight how employers would consider it since so few of them know ANYTHING about BASIC PA education, I'm sure they would know less about postgrad residencies or DLPs. My CV says UNMC MPAS, it doesn't say DLP.

To me there are two reasons (either or both) that you should do a DLP.

1. State/practice need to have a masters

2. Desire to pick an area of focus in your field and study it.

I only did it for #2, I don't need a masters. But the research experience and greater depth of knowledge I gained from the paper and reading required was invaluable. Some people I spoke to "coasted" through the paper, but you can really get a lot out of it. My paper was close to 100 pages and it gave me a MUCH better understanding on my topic (which is an aspect of my current practice).

To me this is way more useful than some review paper you would write in a Masters PA program that you forget after a few yrs b/c it has no impact on your future clinical practice.

The biggest shame is that you can't count it as Cat I CME!

I am a SB alum; I did the UNMC MPAS.

I didn't weight how employers would consider it since so few of them know ANYTHING about BASIC PA education, I'm sure they would know less about postgrad residencies or DLPs. My CV says UNMC MPAS, it doesn't say DLP.

To me there are two reasons (either or both) that you should do a DLP.

1. State/practice need to have a masters

2. Desire to pick an area of focus in your field and study it.

I only did it for #2, I don't need a masters. But the research experience and greater depth of knowledge I gained from the paper and reading required was invaluable. Some people I spoke to "coasted" through the paper, but you can really get a lot out of it. My paper was close to 100 pages and it gave me a MUCH better understanding on my topic (which is an aspect of my current practice).

To me this is way more useful than some review paper you would write in a Masters PA program that you forget after a few yrs b/c it has no impact on your future clinical practice.

The biggest shame is that you can't count it as Cat I CME!

Agree with this. I did the DLP Masters through Arizona (AT Still)....The education from a research perspective is good. I'm doing my DHSc through there now, but the only real reason for that is I want to do research at least half time, and in order to secure federal grants, I need the doctoral degree. PITA actually.

I am applying to ATSU for the Advanced Physician Assistant Masters program. They have a Bachelor's Degree equiv option that appeals to me. I am a couple of semesters away from finishing a BA/BS but if I decide to finish the Bachelors AND go with the cheapest (Nebraska) MS program it would costs thousands more and more importantly more time. I have been in constant contact with one of ATSU's admissions counselors since my last quarter of school and I should be applying for their program in March-I need to find a job first because that is a condition of the program.

I am only pursuing the MS to not be "looked down upon" by future hiring managers who have almost ZERO knowledge of the competency of AS/Cert only PA's. i am fortunate that the job I am waiting for has known me before PA school and is HIGHLY considering hiring me regardless of degree.

I wish degree creep were not a reality but it is here to stay and I guess I have to "get with the program" so after being a NEW PA grad, off to school I go (again). :0) Good luck with your Search!

I'm currently going through the military version of UNMC, and if you're wanting to really get something from the masters program there, you may be disheartened. I'm not positive that the distance learning option and what I'm going through are any different. But the thesis is more of a "check the box", it only has to be a 15 pg review of literature. I may be wrong and it may be more rigorous, but I don't think it is.

University of Nebraska, MPAS - PROS: distance learning, $5,430 total fees, can fit my current schedule, no GRE and easy admission requirements. CONS: how well do employers value a degree from a DLP versus say Stony Brook or NYU if one was to later apply for work at a competitive world renown hospital (say NYP)?

http://www.unmc.edu/alliedhealth/padlp.htm

I did it, was reasonable with a full time work schedule - enjoyed it - would recomend it to others - is not the crazy intense academic model that other programs might be but it was good and I would say it is worth the 5k (only 3k when I did it)

I'm currently going through the military version of UNMC, and if you're wanting to really get something from the masters program there, you may be disheartened. I'm not positive that the distance learning option and what I'm going through are any different. But the thesis is more of a "check the box", it only has to be a 15 pg review of literature. I may be wrong and it may be more rigorous, but I don't think it is.

I don't know the track you're on, but the program is what you make it.

If you're a "bare minimum" 15 pages kind of person, that's what you'll get out of it.

The more you put in, the better the yield.

I did the ATSU MS DLP with a Bachelors equivalent for entry and I would highly recommend it. I can't speak to the viewpoint of an employer with preference of one program over another but I would agree with andersenpa that you get out of it what you put in it. I saw some do the bare minimum to get by and that cheats themselves for missed learning opportunities and your classmates who are looking for interaction during discussions.

I don't know the track you're on, but the program is what you make it.

If you're a "bare minimum" 15 pages kind of person, that's what you'll get out of it.

The more you put in, the better the yield.

I know exactly what I want to get out of it, 3 letters that come after my name. All I was commenting about was the thesis, I don't have any idea about the curriculum seeing as I'm only half way through my first year. It's not that I wouldn't like to do more than the pages I wrote, but I'm a terrible writer and it takes me forever to write what I do get onto paper. If I want to survive here, I can't devote a bunch of time to a paper. Writing a paper doesn't do me any good, if I tank a couple tests because I was busy doing research.

Since you are in NYC, mention NY Presb Hospital, and have interest in public health/business studies have you looked into Columbia University. They offer an executive program for professionals to obtain an MPH. Decent schedule , check it out. A bit costly but perhaps your hospital will offer some money towards the education AND you can get some tax write offs because this education is directly related to your work. Columbia has a good health mgmt program at the pub health school. NYU Wagner has a administration degree ... i know a PA who completed that recently and is an Admin Fellow with North Shore now and very pleased. Also, if you are north of the city Yale has a similar exec/part time health progra. A few PAs have completed it and the web site is thorough. PM me if you have any questions !!

Archived