What was your major?

LOL EM: Now that you are older and have been a PA for awhile and a family man, are you getting less or more sleep ;-) ? BTW did you finish your doctorate yet? 

less. now 3 jobs, kids, doctorate, training for running/biking events.

5 courses left for doctorate. hope to be done next spring or summer.

I started environmental studies, changed to bio, then to medical anthro. initially had minor in spanish but dropped it. also worked 26 hrs/week as an er tech while taking 20 units/quarter and scuba diving regularly.

I didn't sleep in college either.

What made you do the double switch, if you don't mind me asking?  Taking 16 units a quarter right now, 50 hour/week working in PTSD treatment, volunteer at weekends.  I slept plenty when I did my time in UK college, don't need much nowadays.  Also dive when I get the chance, although I haven't done much here (SoCal). 

3 jobs and kids.. so, 1 hour sleep a night, give or take? Where do you dive, if you still do?

What made you do the double switch, if you don't mind me asking?  Taking 16 units a quarter right now, 50 hour/week working in PTSD treatment, volunteer at weekends.  I slept plenty when I did my time in UK college, don't need much nowadays.  Also dive when I get the chance, although I haven't done much here (SoCal). 

3 jobs and kids.. so, 1 hour sleep a night, give or take? Where do you dive, if you still do?

realized I didn't need ochem, biochem, or calc for pa school and I did need a lot more bio and psych than most bio majors get. I got 13 bio courses, most bio majors got 11 because they had to do extra chem, math, etc.

go out to catalina island to ddive if you get a chance, pm me for info on cheap housing , best sites, etc if you go.

I live in the pacific nw now. diving here sucks and the water is so cold you need a ridiculous amt of wt because you are wearing such thick suits. I dive with 8 lbs of wt in cozumel, 24 lbs here.  so most of my diving now is on vacations to places like cozumel and hawaii. the 3 jobs are 1 full time, 1 part time, and 1 per diem, total 180-220 hrs most months.

I probably avg 5-6 hrs sleep/night if you include the sleep I can get working overnights at slow rural depts.

realized I didn't need ochem, biochem, or calc for pa school and I did need a lot more bio and psych than most bio majors get. I got 13 bio courses, most bio majors got 11 because they had to do extra chem, math, etc.

go out to catalina island to ddive if you get a chance, pm me for info on cheap housing , best sites, etc if you go.

I live in the pacific nw now. diving here sucks and the water is so cold you need a ridiculous amt of wt because you are wearing such thick suits. I dive with 8 lbs of wt in cozumel, 24 lbs here.  so most of my diving now is on vacations to places like cozumel and hawaii. the 3 jobs are 1 full time, 1 part time, and 1 per diem, total 180-220 hrs most months.

I probably avg 5-6 hrs sleep/night if you include the sleep I can get working overnights at slow rural depts.

That's fair.  Reason I started this thread is cause I'm torn between sticking with nursing or switching to a different science major that's less likely to get me the "do you want to be a nurse, or a PA?" question as I'd be going straight from BN to grad school application.  Just started so I still have option to switch.  It's great to see the massive variety in backgrounds.

Haven't done Catalina yet.  Did La Jolla shores/Coronado islands, not bad - I'm completely spoiled cause I learned in aus on the Barrier Reef and then did Thailand and Colombia, so cold water ain't much fun - agree with you on the weight/thick suits.  Even with a 7mm and hood its freezing below thermocline.

Gotta use a dry suit for the cold. For weight you should use steel tanks to lower your weight (usually you can ditch +/- 5 lbs) since it's neutrally buoyant when empty + buoyancy control through breathing techniques and weight positioning. You'll be able to cut your weight down significantly and increase your bottom time.

I dive either a 6.5 mm suit with a 3 mm hooded vest or a 7 mm semidry.

I had a drysuit for a while and took the course but it always leaked.

have yet to try anything north of hood canal. need to take 1 more class for my master diver. will get around to it after I finish grad school. have been diving since 89. started in monterey , ca. which spoiled me.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived