Travel expenses for interview

Hi everyone,

I am a soon to be new grad and have an interview for next month at an ED across the country (staffed by a large EM group).  They will be paying for a night of hotel stay and dinner, but have said I am on my own for travel expense.  This will end up being 600$ at least after flight and car.   It is a good opportunity for a new grad, but I feel a little off about being on the hook for travel expenses.  Is it pretty common for a group not to pay travel expense??  If it is not normal, should I (graciously) put my foot down or should I cough up the cash for the interview opportunity?

Thanks for you thoughts

• Administrator

This is one downside of not already living where you want to work.  I was able to get my last two rotations in my home region and traveled 60 miles by car to an HR interview before being interviewed in person by the team I'm working with which is less than 10 miles from the house I owned before PA school.

• Administrator

Oh, as a follow-up, you might want to consult a tax professional, but I believe that travel for job hunting, along with other associated unreimbursed expenses, are deductible on your federal taxes, not that means anything at all to 99+% of new PA grads...  But consult your tax adviser if you think this might benefit you.

Archived