Letters of Recommendation

I am beginning to start the CASPA process when it opens, so I have asked several people if they would mind writing a letter of recommendation for me.

My background is 12 years HCE. I started as an Radiographer (X-ray Tech), and for the last 10 years my primary clinical experience has been in Nuclear Medicine, PET/CT.

I have asked two Radiologists and also a NP for LOR so far.  I am wondering if I should ask a non-Radiology doctor instead of two Radiologists. I feel the two I have asked can really speak the best to my clinical background and about me personally. There are other physicians I have worked with that I feel comfortable asking, however, not many PAs. I actually have a 3rd Radiologist that I feel could write a really good letter for me also, but I thought I should at least include one non-Radiology professional, and someone who is a mid-level provider. 

I was also wondering if the schools do any background checks on the people who provide the references. I just thought about this when I was thinking of people to ask, that I maybe should look for any violations with the state. Is that worth my time?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Make sure to check for any school specific requirements for your LOR. Some schools have a breakdown of what they would like to see. Ex. some schools want one to be from a work supervisor who knows your performance, some want an academic professor, some prefer one be from a PA. Cross check all of the schools you're applying to for any such requirements.

Schools aren't going to run background checks on your LOR writers. At most they would "google" them to verify their position/credentials. Don't waste your time. If they are currently practicing/teaching, they're fine.

Sent from the Satellite of Love using Tapatalk

Thank you for the feedback!

I am under supervision of physicians. Do you think that a letter from a coworker, or department supervisor would better fulfill that requirement?

I am about to set up some time to shadow a PA that I know, so I may ask her for a good letter. The schools have different requirements. It's a little frustrating! For example, some will take a letter from an academic instructor, some will not.

Thank you for the feedback!

I am under supervision of physicians. Do you think that a letter from a coworker, or department supervisor would better fulfill that requirement?

I am about to set up some time to shadow a PA that I know, so I may ask her for a good letter. The schools have different requirements. It's a little frustrating! For example, some will take a letter from an academic instructor, some will not.

I'm facing the exact same dilemma.  Some schools specify all 3 references they want, and they don't always match up with one anothers requirements.    To fulfill the most, I think I'm going to submit 1 from a PA, 1 from a supervisor (paramedic), and 1 from a professor (although I'm still debating which to use).   Don't know what to do about the schools it doesn't work for...

Just in case you're not already aware of this, CASPA only allows 3 LORs. I didn't know this initially and over-requested LORs. I really hated having to renege on a couple requests, knowing that the people had already taken time out of their schedules to compose thoughtful essays about me.

I would suggest you mostly chose based on who will write the most thorough and positive recommendation attesting to the strength of your character -- you can probably intuit who those people are. I think you're getting hung up on tertiary concerns. It's certainly better to get a LOR from a MD than it is from a CNA, but when choosing between MDs, the two big factors to consider are how long they've known you (this will shown on the LOR) and how glowing a recommendation they will give. A doctor who's worked with you a long time and writes a "great" LOR is almost always going to be a better choice than a doctor who writes a "good" LOR, even if the former has a bad history, is the second radiologist to write a LOR, etc.

I can't imagine any scenario where your app gets downgraded because you had recommendations from multiple doctors within your specialty. If anything, it might raise question marks if you went outside the specialty you work in for recommendations. Similarly, I doubt you'd get penalized for only having MDs (and not PAs or NPs) write LORs, especially when you work in a field like radiology which (as I understand it) isn't teeming with mid-level providers. However, as has been mentioned, you need to check the requirements of the schools you intend to apply to. 

On a side note, I am insanely jealous that you have so many providers who can write LORs for you.

I think I'm going to submit 1 from a PA, 1 from a supervisor (paramedic), and 1 from a professor (although I'm still debating which to use).   Don't know what to do about the schools it doesn't work for...

If that (1 PA, 1 professor, 1 supervising paramedic) doesn't work for a school, that school ought to be willing to take a separate LOR that's not part of the initial CASPA application. I think it would be insane for them to do otherwise.

Thanks so much for the feedback! I'm definitely still going to shadow a PA soon. I have worked with them, and I often see PAs for my own healthcare. I feel like I have a good understanding of the profession, but since I haven't worked closely with PAs for a few years, I think it's a good idea!

But you're right. I am leaning towards my initial choice, the two radiologists, who I don't know if their specialty will be an issue or a highlight of the LOR. And I think this will work in place of a supervisor because in Radiology, especially in Nuclear Medicine, we inject radiopharmaceuticals and perform exams under the supervision of the Radiologists and work closely with them. The hospital where I work is also having a transition in management. I am the lead in my area. The Radiology dept is literally getting a new director on Monday and we've had an interim director for over a year, and I want to  apply to CASPA this summer. Should I explain any of that in my personal statement to show why I chose 2 physicians? I don't want it to seem like I totally disregarded the requirements.

But for my 3rd LOR, I am seriously concerned about having an NP instead of PA write the LOR. I do have one PA (not the one I'm shadowing) I have known for years that I may ask to shadow and do the LOR, but I've known the NP even longer. And I know she would write a really good letter for me, not as confident about the PA.

Most of the programs I have looked at required: 1. PA 2. supervising clinician (NP,MD, DO) 3. another healthcare professional familiar with clinical skills (coworker, supervisor)..

I am going to email the programs as well to ask about my concerns.

Thanks again!

On a side note, I am insanely jealous that you have so many providers who can write LORs for you.

I have worked in the area for a long time, with the same providers. I knew the NP as an RN and we've worked together for years. I've been her patient a couple of times now. I wish I had a lot of PAs to write for me!

Does anyone have an opinion on which professor would be better for me to use for a recommendation?  I have 2 options

1. Paramedic instructor.  I don't believe he has a phd, pretty sure he has his masters, author of a section of a popular paramedic textbook.  Had him for a year of full time paramedic school a few years ago, so can speak well to my academic and medical abilities.  That being said I am slightly concerned he might be more honest than most on the recommendation form...

2. Biology professor.  He has a PhD in public health, but not actively working in healthcare.  Only known him for a few months, but I did well in the class, and I know he would write a very favorable recommendation to my academic abilities.   Definitely does not know me as well as the paramedic professor. 

I guess what it's boiling down it is how much weight they put to how long the recommender has known you for...

I'd go with the one that you feel will write you the more personal recommendation and is familiar with your PA goals. The easiest thing to sniff out is a person writing a few paragraphs of fluff b/c they don't really know you.

As always, give your LOR writer a packet containing the instructions on how to submit the LOR to CASPA, your CV, and possibly your planned personal statement. That way they can fill in the gaps of things they might not know about you from the material you provide.

Sent from the Satellite of Love using Tapatalk

I worked in radiology as well before PA school as an MRI Technologist.  My 3 letters of recommendation were from a radiologist, a department administrator, and a CRNA that also worked in the department.  Some schools make you have an academic professor from your school work, I just didn't apply to any of those as I had been out of school for a while.

It's nice to see a fellow Radiology professional, Daryl! Thanks for your feedback.

And thanks PACdan. I emailed a few of the schools I'm applying to. I just want to make sure they don't feel like I'm disregarding their requirements.

Fakingpatience, I think we need to go with the person who will write us a GREAT recommendation, not just a good one. I'm not going with professor because my top school specifically states on their website they do not want letters from instructors. They want those who have knowledge of your clinical skills.

Archived