Maxim staffing (Locum) PA competency exam

Amino acid defect that is associated with Huntington's chorea.

Child immunization scenario with an 8 y/o who had specific immunizations at a particular age and what should be done next (TT, dT, dTap, etc.), including nothing.

Which one of the following PE findings is not associated with dosing of a particular drug.

Which clinical finding is associated with an excessive dose of a particular medication.

Talked about impact of glucagon and glycogen (correct)

Where is action of warfarin in body (correct).

Asked about endocrine abnormalities (Wilson's disease, Addison's, hyperthyroidism).

What chemical/substance is used by sunlight to skin to convert vitamin D?

Which vitamin is not associated with a particular problem (I just remembered that lipid soluble vitamins were ADEK and could be problematic)?

These questions were associated with a sub-specialty position that would not be impacted by above. Talk about feeling like a dumb arse...

Maybe that is part of the problem in that I don't recall the minutiae any longer after all these years. I don't remember enough about Humtington' s to know it if I saw it, though I would know enough to recognize the neuro deficit. Last time I checked it was still about being able to recognize an abnormality and knowing where to look to find the answer.

I was very impressed with how after I completed the test I made an inquiry as to what the minimum acceptable score was out of curiosity? No response has been provided. Like many other things in life, once you're of no used to them you're not worth the time or the trouble. For those who are curious, without any preparation, the final score was in the high 70s. I'm sorry that I can't remember more specific details with regard to specific questions.

Who knows? As my wife has said, if and when the correct opportunity comes along it'll be laid out before me. I must confess however that the thought has crossed my mind that maybe it's time to hang it up and consider doing something else, maybe even outside medicine, whatever that may be. I'm just extremely thankful that I was provided the opportunity to be there for each of my parents when needed, regardless of what the personal cost may be.

I did receive a follow up and the answer to the minimum score question was "80" to pass.  Don't think that I'll bother with an offer to retake and will continue looking forward to.....well, time will tell.  Even though my home is paid for, I may have to look into one of these for the wife and I whenever we open the beach clinic (built for $11K):  http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2524437/The-tiny-home-built-scratch-11-000-architect.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

Guest Paula

Stupid test as far as I'm concerned.  I have to look up immunization schedules all the time.  They change yearly and there is no way to even memorize the schedules. I actually think I wouldn't pass the test either with the minutia of info they want you to recall.  It's bad enough taking PANRE.

Probably would've had to work harder than I had wanted to anyway. ;-). Three new opportunities this afternoon from FT to PT to very PT. I think I would like the PT that may become FT but it's with a specialty group that gets it's pt. base from marketing as opposed to referral. At this stage, as long as I'm ethical...SHOW ME THE MONEY, HONEY!

Archived