What does the future of PAs look like?

overall sets a positive tone but does perpetuate the myth that "PAs have more time to spend with pts". That just isn't true. both docs and PAs get the same blocks of time for each appt., whether it be 15 or 20 min. Being a PA doesn't suddenly entitle one to an extra 10 min/pt.

also, my concern with bundled pts is who divies up the payment? I imagine in most settings it will be physicians. they will take their piece first and then pass on what they feel is our share which may or may not be equitable.

I did like the discussion of PAs working at the top of their license and working as team leaders. that is something we all need to support.

overall sets a positive tone but does perpetuate the myth that "PAs have more time to spend with pts". That just isn't true. both docs and PAs get the same blocks of time for each appt., whether it be 15 or 20 min. Being a PA doesn't suddenly entitle one to an extra 10 min/pt.

What is the origin of this oft cited myth, anyone know? Was there some big article back in the day that stated it as fact?

Sent from the Satellite of Love using Tapatalk

What is the origin of this oft cited myth, anyone know? Was there some big article back in the day that stated it as fact?

don't know. you hear it about NPs as well along with the better schedule myth. my "better schedule" this month with me working as little as possible is 188 hours. the docs in my group are not allowed to work more than 144 hours and very few work more than 122.

Guest Paula

Value driven care:  quality driven with lower costs.  All the more reason to allow PAs to work at the top of our licenses, reduce restrictions, lead medical team care and compensate us adequately for the care.   This is ultimately an advertisement for ACOs, though.  I liked it that he called us Advanced Practitioners. This is also a continuation of the concept of team based care.....not sure if the PA/MD team is truly understood by MDs and utilized efficiently..  some do, some don't.

I disagree that PAs are positioned to enhance the patient experience.  What?  We have to spend more time with patients so they are satisfied and we get good scores, thus higher reimbursements?  Bleh.  It is the job of the RNs or MAs to help the patient satisfaction scores.  We are  not the ones to be the care coordinator.  I don't have time for that.  RNs/MAs/social workers can do the care coordination.  I practice medicine.  I do not want to be the coordinator and get buried in paperwork.

Sure hope a mystery shopper doesn't come to my clinic. Spying on me does not sit well with my soul. 

don't know. you hear it about NPs as well along with the better schedule myth. my "better schedule" this month with me working as little as possible is 188 hours. the docs in my group are not allowed to work more than 144 hours and very few work more than 122.

EMED, you're crazy. I've seen your posts about the three jobs and working on your DHSc. You either have five kids lining up for college or are building that 120-foot luxury "escape" yacht. :)

I think so too LOL What is your secret having all this energy? I remember you said you like to run. (Maybe I need to run and bike further the more I am thinking) Are you a triathlete?

EMED, you're crazy. I've seen your posts about the three jobs and working on your DHSc. You either have five kids lining up for college or are building that 120-foot luxury "escape" yacht. :)

I think so too LOL What is your secret having all this energy? I remember you said you like to run. (Maybe I need to run and bike further the more I am thinking) Are you a triathlete?

1. run

2. minimal sleep

3. prioritize jobs that have the potential for sleep at work(double-dipping-being paid to sleep)

4. maintain my body weight as close as possible to high school levels. anytime I put on 5 lbs I can tell the difference in my energy. I feel slow. Unless on vacation or at a  special event I try to live by the maxim that food is fuel. when I am "overfueled" ( i.e. getting fat) I will skip a meal or 2/day until back at baseline. generally just takes a day or 2 because if I skip a meal I lose a pound.

I'm not a triathlete but have considered it. I have done the long bike rides and used to be a lifeguard and water safety instructor but the whole idea of biking right after swimming and the attendant chafing doesn't appeal. will probably try a duathalon run/bike before a Tri.

1. run

2. minimal sleep

3. prioritize jobs that have the potential for sleep at work(double-dipping-being paid to sleep)

4. maintain my body weight as close as possible to high school levels. anytime I put on 5 lbs I can tell the difference in my energy. I feel slow. Unless on vacation or at a  special event I try to live by the maxim that food is fuel. when I am "overfueled" ( i.e. getting fat) I will skip a meal or 2/day until back at baseline. generally just takes a day or 2 because if I skip a meal I lose a pound.

I'm not a triathlete but have considered it. I have done the long bike rides and used to be a lifeguard and water safety instructor but the whole idea of biking right after swimming and the attendant chafing doesn't appeal. will probably try a duathalon run/bike before a Tri.

A man driven ... I like it!

From the video: I don't know anything about "bundled payments" or what constitutes the hard parameters of an "episode or a disease condition" and who defines it, but I could see it being an issue for fair repayment from how it's described. In academia, with PBL or group projects, many students receive the same grade for the whole project, but most often a few people really take charge and do the majority of the work. In rarer cases (yet more preferable), the professor sets up a system for individual grading, based on the amount of total work done by each person. In TBC "bundled payments", are the physicians going to claim the biggest piece of the pie based solely on the fact that they're the MD/DO? Even if they only put in 15 minutes? If money is divvied up based on total time spent working on the "episode", regardless of provider title, that seems fairer. Sure, give the physician a percentage differential based on title, but let us earn more of that "bundle" back if we spend much more time on that individual case.

Also, LOL at the Geminac (sp?) Report.

this is a lot of %$#*. We are just refered to as cheap labor. sure sure we will see whom benefits from group/bundle payments. maybe we should bundle labor, bundle schooling, bundle our benefits. sound like a cheap progressive commercial. Why do some feel the need to keep promoting a failed communist healthcare act? the aca is going to result in destruction of viable healthcare. PAs cannot replace MDs, they must become MDs, bridge programs are the only sane answer. my advice to the masses, become a malpractice attorney

1. run

2. minimal sleep

Haha as for #1 and #2 I seriously doubt I could continue to do one without the other, you're just crazy...and I played professional soccer haha

Haha as for #1 and #2 I seriously doubt I could continue to do one without the other, you're just crazy...and I played professional soccer haha

check out the running thread in the recovery room area and the discussion of fatigue training. you actually get a lot out of a run done when you are not at your best. it increases your stamina. seriously. it is a proven method for training for ultra marathons.

Archived