PAs in Anesthesia

Hi all -

I'm a 1st year PA student right now and I followed a CRNA on one of my clinical experiences about a week ago. I found the work to be interesting, and since then I've been reasearching options for PAs in anesthesia.

There seems to be almost no information available on the web about PAs in anesthesia (I know there are CRNAs and AAs). Does anyone know something about this topic and be willing to explain to me?

Thanks!

In the early days of the pa profession some PAs were able to get taught operative anesthesia. the best known of these individuals in shepard stone.

see here for info on him:http://medicine.yale.edu/anesthesiology/people/shepard_stone.profile

he is also the first pa to be promoted to the rank of general in the army.

In 2014 the only way to practice operative anesthesia as a PA is to become an AA, a CRNA, or an MD anesthesiologist.

as mentioned above, there is a PA to AA bridge program. That is a powerful combo with a very high earning and scope of practice potential as you can cover ANY area in the hospital including OR, ER, ICU, etc.

I know a few folks who do this as well as a few NP/CRNA folks.

Very interesting...I did not relize there was such a bridge! Any details?

it used to be at emory. I checked the site and now can find no mention of it. they must have discontinued the bridge option. it only took 1 semester off anyway. (the basic sciences semester #1)

There was a thread that was started in 2007 on allnurses about PA Anestheist I am sure a lot of things have changed since then. Again this is old as well, but interesting nevertheless PA's Doing Anesthesia

AAs are not PAs. Each profession has its own separate educational curriculum and standards for accreditation, and each has its own national certification agency. The only similarity is that both AAs and PAs are supervised by physicians and have the word “assistant” in their professional titles. Such similarities do not make an AA a PA. Conversely, if a PA specializes in anesthesiology but has not completed an AA program and passed the NCCAA exam, he or she is not an AA. https://www.aapa.org/uploadedFiles/content/The_PA_Profession/Becoming_a_PA/Resource_Items/PI_PAsandAAs__Final.pdf

Archived