Need advice for surgery rotation!

Hey guys, I am about to go on my first rotation in april and its in surgery. I am not that interested in surgery and I am terrified to start this rotation. My anatomy is weak and our surgery class was not very good. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I heard the book surgical recall was good, but I am open to more suggestions on what books to read. Thank you so much!

If you will be following one specific PA or Doc I would see if you can get the surgical schedule the day before and then go read up on those procedures and review the anatomy so at least you aren't going in blind. Also, practice your tying/suturing (hand and instrument) in case you get then chance.

I didn't have a huge interest in surgery either before my rotations so I picked an outpt. surgical site and so my experience was slightly different from others. I got to see a lot of different procedures (hernia repair, plastics, hand surgery, lumpectomies, gyn surgery, etc) but a lot of what I did was retracting and observing. I did an elective OB/GYN surgical rotation later in the year which was wonderful because it was there that I got to actually do some suturing and such.

Hey guys, I am about to go on my first rotation in april and its in surgery. I am not that interested in surgery and I am terrified to start this rotation. My anatomy is weak and our surgery class was not very good. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I heard the book surgical recall was good, but I am open to more suggestions on what books to read. Thank you so much!

google is your friend:

http://www.amazon.com/Anatomy-Tutor-Surgeons-Training-Multiple-Choice/dp/1841101362 is the first hit when I typed in "surgical anatomy training" to my search engine

I had to search around for a few moments in YouTube but it pops up some stuff as well..maybe something to watch when you have the next day's schedule in hand and can look up specific surgeries.

Surgeons, as I am sure you know, are sharks of the medical sea. Really don't want to show up in their pool being unprepared. As a former surgical tech I have had the opportunity to watch them chew up and spit out foul tasting interns and the like. I really don't have much encouragement to give...I'd get to the patient in pre op, read the chart, gather some background info on their situation and the reasons why the surgery is happening. Know sterile technique and be very conscious of where your hands are. I went through spools of sewing thread cut into 12 inch lengths learning how to do one handed ties, using the handle of a coffee mug for the tie site.

looks to be a pretty solid intro to one handed tying...they are tying left hand dominant but you get the basic idea. Plus on this marked page there are other vids that may help you

Good luck

Recall is OK but it will not prepare you.

There are numerous handbooks that review the major surgical disease processes, with their presentation/DDx/workup/surgical plan/postop.

For a surgery rotation, you will need to do two things to do well (whether you like surgery or not):

1- Know the cases and read up ahead of time. You will look more prepared of you ask a question as it relates to what you read up on beforehand.

2- Your program should provide you with a list of learning objectives for the rotation. Divide them up and make a half-pager or flash card for each.

Sabiston or Schwartz are good texts for reference.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a great site to walk you through most of the surgeries you will see. You can sign up for a free 30 day trial. I am currently in my surgery rotation and loving it! Also, the book "Advanced Surgery Recall" is great! Here's the website - www.proceduresconsult.com. I agree with the other comments about preparing for the next day's schedule the night before! Have fun!

• 3 months later...

i actually liked surgery recall a lot. the only downside is the book is a bit bulkier than i would have liked (hard to squeeze into my pocket). it's not the greatest if you want to know everything important, but it's perfect for prepping for pimping in the OR. as others have suggested, try reading up on the procedure and anatomy the previous day if you know what sugeries you're scrubbing in on.

most of the residents and surgeons know that not everyone wants to go into surgery. with that said, i think if you just appear eager to learn and eager to help, you will be fine. you can help by doing small things like- getting wound care supplies, taking down bandages before rounds, changing bandages, packing wounds, getting missing i&o's from nurses, helping to transport and prep pts in the OR, etc. etc. and although you aren't going into surgery, the rotation might be a great opportunity for you to practice basic skills (e.g. tying, foleys, NG tubes, wound care, sterile technique, etc etc). also, even though you might not be performing surgery in the future, i'm sure your patients will be having them, and it's kind of cool to have that experience so you know what they are going through

i was nervous too when i started, but i don't think it will be too bad. just be willing to learn, and you can't go wrong! good luck!

Archived