I Phone or Droid

Which phone would you rather have?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Which phone would you rather have?

iPhone provides a far more mature collection of medical resources than android:

Some of the free ones I use: epocrates, skyscape, micromedex, merck medicus, neuromind, mpr, md ezlabs (gives you differentials for any abnormal labs), iradiology, medscape, littman soundbuilder (listen to any murmur on your phone), medcalc, units, eyehandbook

some paid ones: tarascons, diagnosaurus, lexi-comp, harrison's manual of medicine, taber's, netter's, etc.

There are also dozens of excellent free podcasts that I use to brush up on medicine or listen to the latest studies, some are audio while others are video too that I watch while commuting or just walking on the street:

medpod101

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=261465941

Radiology (UCTV)

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=417427487

ERcast

http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/ercast/id353141357

EMcrit

http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/emcrit-podcast-emergency-critical/id314020330

American academy of neurology

http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/neurology-podcast/id263492582

iPhone provides a far more mature collection of medical resources than android:

I looked all of those up and there were only a couple of the free ones that Android market did not have, while having all the paid ones you listed. That is also not say that there is not a comparable product or that as a third part app it wont hit the android market. Have no idea how you could come to that conclusion.

I only listed a very few of the paid medical apps for the iPhone; it would be far too onerous to list them all here. There is far deeper market penetration with iOS versus Android in the medical field, hence developers are more likely to create apps and devote limited resources to iOS than to Android.

I only listed a very few of the paid medical apps for the iPhone; it would be far too onerous to list them all here. There is far deeper market penetration with iOS versus Android in the medical field, hence developers are more likely to create apps and devote limited resources to iOS than to Android.

I know you were not listing all the apps. My point was if your going to throw an opinion like that out there at least name apps that support your argument. Not a list of apps I have on my android.

Had an iPhone and switched to the Droid because of the open architecture. Worst mistake ever. Contract is up in November 2011 and I'm getting the iPhone 5. The only saving grace for Android at the moment is its intimate integration with Google apps (specifically GMail).

BUMP--

Haeriphos, what made this a mistake??

I want to aquire a new Verizon phone and am torn between Iphone and Droid2, and could use your input. Heck, if anyone is using either one of these in a clinical setting, I and many others, would appreciate your input.

Thanks,

Jim

I love any Android based phones... they tend to be sturdier than iphones

I am not in love with my iphone, but I gotta disagree with this. I have dropped my iphone more times than I can count, including while running in the rain on concrete. I have dropped it multple times on the treadmill which caused it to fly backwards onto the gym floor. I took my iphone with me to Iraq (130 degrees and sand everywhere) and to below freezing temperatures while hiking in Alaska. I have never, ever had a problem with sturdiness. Also, the apps are handy, I use epocrates every single day, and the OS is easy to use. Get whichever one you want, but don't worry about sturdiness because the iphone is plenty sturdy.

here's the bottom line for you... i have an android, the HTC incredible, and it's always dead by 4pm. I use it for epocrates, viewing PDFs, and random medical apps but i wouldn't say i use it "heavily" throughout the day.... the battery is terrible!! nothing beats the battery on the iphone 4!! my boyfriend has it and he charges it every other day!

Well, I am thinking about a new phone myself, and I am a Verizon customer, mostly secondary to coverage....

I cannot buy an iPhone....first, I can't stand Apple....but more importantly, I cannot use any phone without a physical keyboard....I have a mental block if you will about virtual keyboards....Secondly, the lack of the ability to do things like, I dunno, CHANGE the battery, bother me about the iPhone.....

I use my phone primarily for calls and email. I get about 250-300 emails daily (not counting spam), so my BB has served me well. I would like to have some apps, but don't need many....I have no use for games, and rarely take pictures on my phone...I have a nice dSLR camera, and am kind of a photography snob, among other things....(BIG Single Malt Scotch Snob as well)

I'm thinking about the Droid Pro, but I dunno...Does anyone have one? Any thoughts?

Just curious.....

It sounds like you may be more of a blackberry user rather than a droid pro user. The blackberry has superior emailing and calendar options but the droid pro is a better entertainment phone. The droid pro has a physical qwerty keyboard but with a touch screen too, a superior browser, multi-tasking, better processor, etc. With that said, I would go for a droid pro over the blackberry because of the superior choices of apps. I own a iPhone though so I am not too fond of blackberrys.

Well, I am thinking about a new phone myself, and I am a Verizon customer, mostly secondary to coverage....

I cannot buy an iPhone....first, I can't stand Apple....but more importantly, I cannot use any phone without a physical keyboard....I have a mental block if you will about virtual keyboards....Secondly, the lack of the ability to do things like, I dunno, CHANGE the battery, bother me about the iPhone.....

I use my phone primarily for calls and email. I get about 250-300 emails daily (not counting spam), so my BB has served me well. I would like to have some apps, but don't need many....I have no use for games, and rarely take pictures on my phone...I have a nice dSLR camera, and am kind of a photography snob, among other things....(BIG Single Malt Scotch Snob as well)

I'm thinking about the Droid Pro, but I dunno...Does anyone have one? Any thoughts?

Just curious.....

What about it made it a bad choice?

My biggest complaints about the Droid are:

1. It's slow. VERY slow. In all fairness, this is a hardware problem and not an OS problem though.

2. There aren't as many good apps, clinical or otherwise. One of the reasons I left Apple was because they keep such a tight grip on the applications that are available to the phone through the approval process whereas Google does not (anyone can publish anything). Turns out the approval process actually does lead to better applications.

3. Droid lacks the polish of the iPhone. It's just still rough around the edges; a lot of little things add up to a big difference.

4. My Droid crashes about once a week on core applications (mail, contacts, phone, chat, etc). This is a major problem since my iPhone crashed maybe once a month on core apps (if that).

I think Android is a great idea on paper but it needs more time to get polished before I'll consider using it again.

I've had a droid incredible for a few months now and love it. I use it all day but I agree that the battery life does suck. You can upgrade the battery for $60 and from what I heard this will give you about a day and a half. I bookmarked up to date and FP notebook which I use regularly. The only true app I have is epocrates. My next phone will be an iPhone for sure, especially since Verizon is now a carrier

Another Droid Incredible user here. I love this phone. In fairness though, I came from a Windows Mobile phone so really anything would have been an upgrade, AND I have not played with an iPhone to do a true comparison either. But I think my phone is very quick and responsive. The screen resolution is amazing which helps since I practice dermatology and Skyscape has some wonderful derm apps with high res pictures on it. The majority of my medical apps are actually *in* Skycape so I have no real use for other apps, although I do have Epocrates and Medscape installed too. I love that the phone syncs with Google (email, calendar, tasks, etc.) so I don't have to physically connect and sync my phone to my home PC. Regarding the number of apps in the market, from what I have read Android apps are increasing exponentially so I don't think it will be long before there are as many Android apps as Apple apps. I have never had a problem finding something in the app market that I needed or was looking for.

Hope this helps,

April

I have the iphone 3Gs and currently use it in the ER. I use Epocrates and Medscape regularly. I love the pill identifier and interaction checker functions. I have also used medical Spanish translator app and the inforMed Critical Care and Emergency guide. Easy to clean with alcohol wipes or hospital grade disinfecting wipes.

I would choose iPhone again for one reason - the apps are the same on my iPad. I can use both interchangeably.

Okay, I couldn't stand my Droid any longer so I broke down and bought an HTC Incredible off eBay. It's still Android but I just need something to keep me limping along until my contract expires in November.

That being said, the HTC Incredible is significantly better than the Motorola Droid. My two biggest complaints from the Droid (speed and polish) are vastly improved with the HTC. It's amazingly fast and HTC includes their Sense UI on top of Android. This makes all the difference in the world in my opinion. And yes, the screen is beautiful. Includes an 8MP camera and 720p HD recording (video leaves a little to be desired but it is only a phone).

I'm still planning on the iPhone 5 in November but I think I'll at least CONSIDER another HTC phone as well.

HTC Sense UI is good as a middle ground between iphone and Vanilla Android when it comes to ease. I like Android OS phones because of the open source nature of it. iphone is too restricted (which I think goes against apple's reputation to be non-conformist but I guess since their success has been the most uniform cell phone out there. I mean you void your warranty if you want to "jail-break" it to allow more freedom.)

The best assessment I can give when it comes to smartphones is iphone if you dont plan on messing with your phone and are completely satisfied with just adding apps to it. The Vanilla android is for hardcore phone geeks (like me-I have a HTC Rhodium with a flashed version of WinMo 6.5 and have many times effed up my registry and setup! LOL). I plan on getting a G2 4gs (Vanilla Android) when my contract expires. For the foreseeable future, I cant see me buying an iphone.

Archived