army vs navy physician assistant

I'm interested in joining the military.  I have almost 4 years ED experience as a physician assistant, but really wanted to join the military for the experience of it.  I'm interested to hear from the veterans out there which is better for a PA in terms of available training opportunities for remote medicine.   I'm also a 28 year old woman, so I would be interested to hear if there is a better branch for women/experiences women have had.  I would really appreciate any feedback. 

I served for 6 yrs in the army as a medic attached to a combined infantry/tank company. Our pa worked the in the aid station and I saw him maybe once every two weeks while deployed.  He would visit the companies paroling out in sector on occasion, but for the most part ran sick call on the fob or worked at the level II trauma unit.  It really depends on the unit to which you are assigned, that will make all the difference in the world in terms of what you will see in the army.  Given the new rules with woman allowed in combat units that may have changed since I left service.  While not deployed, he ran sick call every morning and then had clinic for the rest of the day at the troop medical clinic.  Hope that helps answer your question a little bit.

they are working on a applying a doctorate with it, but it doesn't yet. Just a certificate right now, unless something changed in the few months.

Yeah, just a certificate.  I did rotations with both of those guys, and the program coordinator addressed our class one afternoon.  Just FYI for those looking to get in, the word at the moment is that they're looking for folks with a deployment as a PA already under their belt before applying.

Yeah, just a certificate.  I did rotations with both of those guys, and the program coordinator addressed our class one afternoon.  Just FYI for those looking to get in, the word at the moment is that they're looking for folks with a deployment as a PA already under their belt before applying.

I can confirm this.  PA deployments are unless in an operational billet are pretty much non existent at this time, so plan on applying after a second tour.

Archived