Advice low GPA, want to plan towards a PA program, I need advice on.....

Hi,

Afters a career not in medicine, I want to pursue a new degree within Physician Assistant studies. 

I have a low GPA of a 2.2 from my bachelor's degree in Psychology. I understand there are requirements in certain courses which I understand I have. So, do I....

1) re-take my science courses to get a higher grade?

2) is there a difference in taking courses at a community college vs. a post-bacc. from a 4-year school?

3) do I further my degree in Psychology; to earn a masters and try to apply for a PA program to show that my grades have improved?

Thank you

Here's my advice from personal experience - 

My science GPA is pretty low too. I have been rejected from about 15 different PA schools that do not even give me a chance because of it. I got my masters and even tho my nearly perfect GPA, I still don't get in. It's a cruel system thats very GPA-centric. Not trying to be offensive, but 2.2 is very low. I was told my master's didn't help. It's the science grades that matter in the end. So yes, if you are serious and have the money and time, retake them. It's what I am going to have to do. Two years of rejections all because of the science grades. Doesn't matter that I have priceless experiences that no one else does. Its all about the numbers. But don't give up if it is something you really want! It can really be a taxing, stressful, depressing process for those of us who struggled a little bit!

AnSky2125,

You're GPA is very low; getting into a PA program is a long shot for you at this point. My GPA was 2.7 and I finally raised it to 3.1 after more than two years of nearly straight A's. But, many of the courses I took are also pre-requisites for nursing and respiratory therapy. This year is my first year of applying and so far I have 7 rejections and 1 interview which I thought went well. If I do not get into PA school this year or next, I will begin working on an AA degree in Respiratory Therapy. If I do become an RT it's unlikely that I will go back for PA school because I'm already in my 40's.

My point is this: you need a Plan B. If I were you I'd make sure that any further coursework counts towards something other than PA in case you can't get into PA school. PA school admissions are just getting more and more competitive so I'd advise having other options in mind. If you are young, you may be able to get a nursing degree, etc. and gradually raise your GPA and HCE until you are eventually a competitive applicant. Good luck with whatever you decide.

I would say going from 2.2 to PA is going to be the hardest thing you've ever done OP. I don't want to discourage anyone but that GPA is very very low to be competitive.

AnSky2125,

You're GPA is very low; getting into a PA program is a long shot for you at this point. My GPA was 2.7 and I finally raised it to 3.1 after more than two years of nearly straight A's. But, many of the courses I took are also pre-requisites for nursing and respiratory therapy. This year is my first year of applying and so far I have 7 rejections and 1 interview which I thought went well. If I do not get into PA school this year or next, I will begin working on an AA degree in Respiratory Therapy. If I do become an RT it's unlikely that I will go back for PA school because I'm already in my 40's.

My point is this: you need a Plan B. If I were you I'd make sure that any further coursework counts towards something other than PA in case you can't get into PA school. PA school admissions are just getting more and more competitive so I'd advise having other options in mind. If you are young, you may be able to get a nursing degree, etc. and gradually raise your GPA and HCE until you are eventually a competitive applicant. Good luck with whatever you decide.

You should be proud of what you've done irregardless of acceptance. I've read some of your posts in the past, am I remembering correctly that you took all the prereqs at a CC? If so, maybe you got "flagged" for that. I don't agree if that was the case, I just find it very hard to believe that programs won't even interview you with straight A's for 2 years. GL, hope you get in where you interviewed.

AnSky2125,

I applied several times to. PA school then applied to RT and PA school simultaneously. I was rwady for a career in RT but got into PA and RT school. I honestly would have been happy as a RT, even had a friend who was a supervisor , at a local jospital whp said she would get me a job, but PA school took me in so here I am.

Maybe this is your year Lemonbars! But RT is a great gig, methinks, as well.

For the OP, I wpuld retake every science class you got a C or lower on and ACE those bad boys. Yhen start applying. Also stack up HCE.

Sent by my Samsung S4 Active via Tapatalk

I applied several times to. PA school then applied to RT and PA school simultaneously. I was rwady for a career in RT but got into PA and RT school. I honestly would have been happy as a RT, even had a friend who was a supervisor , at a local jospital whp said she would get me a job, but PA school took me in so here I am.

Maybe this is your year Lemonbars! But RT is a great gig, methinks, as well.

For the OP, I wpuld retake every science class you got a C or lower on and ACE those bad boys. Yhen start applying. Also stack up HCE.

Sent by my Samsung S4 Active via Tapatalk

Thank you Joelseff for your response! I am currently retaking courses and gaining HCE! Any other advice would be greatly appreciated 

Archived