How would you choose a PA program NOW?

Pick the one that works for you:

1. Ignore "ratings"

2. Consider their PANCE rate

3. Consider their rotations:quality, location, range of optional rotations, etc

4. Consider finances, distance from where you want to be, etc

5. Take into account how you think they would be like to work with. I'm not down with a one strike and you're out or a Lord of the Flies civilization. And thankfully either was my school.

Good luck!

1.quality and variety of rotation sites. can you do trauma surgery, peds emergency medicine, critical care, etc?

2. track record of quality program. I would only look at programs around > 10 years. many newer programs still don't have all the kinks worked out yet and they may have a limited # of clinical sites available.

3. once 1 and 2 above have been met I would look at geography. for the most part it is easier to get a local pa job if you come from a local pa program or already did a rotation at the site with the job.

Thanks, men. Each of the three programs in consideration has a long history of success and a great reputation. I'll take another good look at the specifics of how they run rotations. You both put an emphasis on that, and from what I've gathered that's where the real learning happens. 

Program A - Only one in the state, so no competition for rotation sites (from other PA programs, at least) - rural emphasis

Program B - Has most of their rotations at the hospitals right on 'campus' - alongside med students much of the time

Program C - In Philly, where there seems to be a lot of competition for rotation sites, but program claims their reputation/huge alum base helps them secure great sites

Definitely want to look into whether each program has a generalist or surgical focus. Another big thing for me was number of rotations and number of elective rotations. A lot of programs (especially 24-28 month programs) only offer 10-12 rotations including only 1-2 elective rotations. The program I chose offers 14 rotations including 4 electives (and the option for international rotations).

There are also myriad other things to consider that may play into your decision. Does the school take a student directed learning approach or do you mainly listen to professors lecture 8 hours a day? Is there 1 exam a week or 2-3 exams a week? Are classes graded or Pass/Fail? Are students ranked or does the school promote student collaboration? Do you need to write a thesis or scholarly paper?

The key questions here are where you would rotate and the availability of these rotation site that the program has. Are there other PA program close by or within the region that compete with the program for clinical rotation spot. Would you be assign one-on-one with a PA or an MD preceptor or along with other student or MD students.

Agree with the above.  Also - how supportive of their students is the program?  I've been out long enough that I've heard some things about several of the programs in my state.  The ones where the students feel "on their own" are the same programs where my interview left me with a bad taste in my mouth.  The place that I chose was very warm and embracing during the interview and that held true throughout my tenure.  After you've considered all the data, go with your gut!

Archived