Student Case: It Ain't the Cedar Buddy!

While not nearly as interesting as Rev's case, I think this one requires a fair amount of critical thinking.  A little background: In Texas we are currently having the worst allergy season from mountain cedar ever recorded, so there's a lot of that.  Please keep in mind that this was done in a family practice environment, as I'm sure the ER management would have been slightly different.

33yo WM presents with 2 days of fever, chills, sinus congestion/drainage and cough; says "I think it's the cedar."  Recently returned from work trip a few hours south.  No known sick contacts.  Has been taking OTC meds w/o relief.  Vitals done already and are as follows:

Height/Weight both WNL

T: 102

HR: 128

BP: 170/110  

You enter the room.  What questions do you ask the patient?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's ok, in the interest of moving this along, I will respond.  No flu vaccine this year.  H/o HTN previously controlled on lisinopril 10 but doesn't take it "some days."  Not a lot of nasal discharge, but sputum is gray.  South Texas.  

Any students out there?!  What other specific questions do you ask about the patient's history?  Questions for the ROS?

Trouble breathing at rest or w exertion? HA, blurred vision, diaphoresis, AMS? Does he know what his BP usually runs and did he take lisonopril today? What other meds is he on and what medical problems does he have?

Very good!  Dyspnea only with coughing, denies the other acute symptoms (including chest pain).  These are important, and usually what I ask first.  If the patient is unstable, EMS gets called before we go any further!

Patient is very vague with me about BP, says it's been "high," but won't quantify; did not take lisinopril today.  No other meds or problems.  Two other pertinent negatives: no asthma and a non-smoker.  

Okay, let's move on to the physical.  What do you examine, what are you looking for?

Well biggest red flag is 110 diastolic although in a chronic hypertensive this may not be emergent from what I understand. Nevertheless look for papilledema. Also check for unequal BP per UEs or abnormal pulse. Unlikely dx would be a pheo but he would have had past episodes per history. Check pupils.

Per infection would do HEENT eg dull TMs, pharynx injection. Lungs for any foci of infxn or aign of PTX. Heart for dysthymia or murmur. Skin for rash. Legs for edema. Generalized abdomen exam. Look for adenopathy at neck.

Good, although not all necessary.  As this pt has fever, vitals are likely so elevated secondary to acute illness.  Here's what I got:

Const: well nourished, no acute distress, appears ill

HEENT: PERRL, conjunctiva clear, turbinates benign, no nasal drainage, oral mucosa moist, pharynx WNL, TMs benign.  No frontal or maxillary sinus tenderness.

Neck: No LAD.

CV: tachy, regular rhythm; pulses 2+ and symmetric; no peripheral edema

Resp: CTAB, although breath sounds diffusely diminished due to pt not breathing deeply.  I got the pulse ox at this point: 96% on RA.

Abd: nl bowel sounds, no tenderness

Any tests you'd like to run?

I will assume the rest of the ROS is neg....no neck pain, HA, rashes, N/V/D/constipation....?

What are the OTC meds? pseudoephedrine...if so how much?

A CBC would be nice.

You keep mentioning "South Texas"....not sure where you are going there.  Environmental or endemic disease? 

Why is he not taking normal breaths?  Pain?

Alright!  Now we're getting some good stuff.  I mentioned the South Texas oilfield work because the patient did - It's not necessarily relevant, but that's up to you (like it was to me initially) to consider.  As far as exposures go, the most common one there is poisonous gases.  

Of course UA COULD show Wegener's, but is that really a likely diagnosis here?  Remember we don't want to order a lot of testing if we don't have to.

The rest of the ROS is negative (I'm sorry, I should have stated that).  Likewise, the rest of the PE is negative.  Deep breaths limited by pain.  

CBC again not done because I don't have STAT labs, but definitely a good idea.  

OTC meds include phenylephrine per usual instructions but only once the night before.  

Wells score is 1.5 (for the HR only).

Rapid flu is POSITIVE!

So, let's move on to treatment plan.

Alrighty then, flu it is.  I still think basic so I will address problems as in order of importance.

First, fix the V/S as much as I can. 

T: 102

HR: 128

BP: 170/110

I will go stray from the others and state that I am actually more impressed with the HR than I am with the BP.  Although the HR is most likely being caused by the fever, it does seem a bit high even for a febrile patient (although certainly not unheard of).  Give the patient whatever antipyretic you prefer; I am prior military, so I would go with good old Motrin.  Hopefully this is will fix the temp and HR....maybe ease the BP a bit.  Re-check V/S before pt D/C.

About that BP....here is my problem, this might actually be this guys norm and could very well be a distracting V/S.   Make sure the guy has enough of his ACEI and tell him to F/U with his PCP or with me if he is going to be in town.  Reinforce schedule before D/C.

Now the root of the problem.  Flu.  Traditionally, we could just treat symptomatically, or we could add Tamiflu to the tradition Tx's.  I am actually not sure what is normally done in the civilian world....guidelines are a little vague.  Open for discussion.

Motrin/Tylenol for fevers

Albuterol for cough/Codeine at night

Decongestants

Hydrate! (solution to pollution is dilution)

What am I missing?  Any zebras?

Will- Influenza classically can cause high fevers. also you can get 10 points of pulse increase for every degree of temp elevation over 98.6 so 101.6 or thereabouts would give you 130(considering the top of the nl range to be 100).

consider also that someone sick may not be able to keep down their regular meds which control an arrhythmia. I had a guy 2 weeks ago with afib and gastroenteritis who was very dry. after 3 L of IV fluid and correcting his temp his pulse was still 135. a dose of IV cardizem brought it back down to the normal range.

now, anyone want to try my bonus question?

I was thinking about maybe IV hydration, but the BP was making me think conservative.  My issue with the HR was really if it was from the fever alone or was the guy dry....both?  I went with what was presented and assumed he wasn't dry. 

I have to study some pharm at the moment, so I will see if I can figure out the bonus later.  Unless someone else does.

Archived