Typical hours/salary in Urgent Care/Fast Track

I am a PA student getting ready to start clinicals. I am very interested in emergency med, and have structured my electives accordingly.

Can anyone give me their experience with hours/shifts that they work in ER or Urgent care? I have two kids, and would prefer a set day shift with no call. I like the idea of being able to do 12 hour shifts, hopefully only doing three a week, but I don't want to work nights/weekends. Is this possible in emergency med? Is it possible in urgent care/fast track? What would the salary be?

If it's not possible, I would like to know now so I can start thinking about other specialties, and change my electives........my passion is emergency med, but I also need my hours to be compatible with my family life.

Any information is appreciated! Thanks!

nights/weekends/holidays are a regular part of emergency medicine. shifts can vary from 8/10/12/24 hrs.

urgent care it may be possible to get regular hrs but pretty hard to do in em, especially as "the new guy". most em positions rotate shifts. I work all nights( or 24s) to avoid the rotating schedule.

At our free-standing urgent care clinic, everybody pulls weekend shifts.  Most folks have a schedule ranging from 8-10+ hour shifts depending on how many patients are still waiting to be seen when we lock our door at closing time.   We are open 0800-2000 during the week but close a little earlier on weekends.  Not uncommon to be there for an hour or two past closing during busy times (i.e  now.....)

• 1 month later...

I've talked to a group who staffs a new UC that is across the street from the actual hospital ED.  The position is as an independent contractor, sole provider, though they do provide malpractice (I even asked the recruiter if they've had any IRS issues since they dictate the work schedule, not the IC).  Pay is $70/hr..  Physician staffs three days, adv. practitioner the other four days (less desirable days, of course).  Similar hours as Piper posted.

• 5 months later...

At our free-standing urgent care clinic, everybody pulls weekend shifts.  Most folks have a schedule ranging from 8-10+ hour shifts depending on how many patients are still waiting to be seen when we lock our door at closing time.   We are open 0800-2000 during the week but close a little earlier on weekends.  Not uncommon to be there for an hour or two past closing during busy times (i.e  now.....)

Same here ...it ranges from 8 hrs to 14 hrs a day

I am a PA student getting ready to start clinicals. I am very interested in emergency med, and have structured my electives accordingly.

Can anyone give me their experience with hours/shifts that they work in ER or Urgent care? I have two kids, and would prefer a set day shift with no call. I like the idea of being able to do 12 hour shifts, hopefully only doing three a week, but I don't want to work nights/weekends. Is this possible in emergency med? Is it possible in urgent care/fast track? What would the salary be?

If it's not possible, I would like to know now so I can start thinking about other specialties, and change my electives........my passion is emergency med, but I also need my hours to be compatible with my family life.

Any information is appreciated! Thanks!

Highly unlikely as an employee. Likely rotate based upon coverage of PAs in ED or UC. Only way I think you would be able to pull this off is to take solely per diem hours meaning you choose when you work and arent held to the dictates of the schedule. This would only be possible in a metropolitan area with with multiple EDs and UCs. You would forgoe benefits unless you purchase them on your own. On the other hand you could luck in to a situation where your colleagues actually may want to work off hours and will be happy to have you work during the day. I worked weekends and nights for 2 years while my wife and I juggled daycare for our kids, hardly worked a dayshift.

Good luck.

G Brothers PA-C

• 4 weeks later...

chaelabob, if you want "set day shift" and don't want to work nights and weekends I strongly recommend you don't pursue EM.  I don't say that meaning to sound like a d1ck or an a$$hat but the different shifts, nights, weekends and holidays are part and parcel of EM (and less so 'urgent care') and it's at least a part of why we like it.

There may be EM jobs out there with nothing but day shifts and no nights or weekends, but I wouldn't spend too much time or energy hunting them down.  Because if they DO exist (and if they do they are RARE), then someone most likely locked them up long before you're going to come along.

I think you may be surprised at how your interests change and are pulled in various directions during clinicals. Students often find they can't decide what field they want to go into after graduation - and that's not a bad dilemma to have.   Good luck.  :-)

My being one of the first in EM in my area allowed me to have a 10am-6pm M-F schedule, followed later by a 9am-7pm M-Th schedule. No holidays/weekends unless I was offered a Sat 12pm-6pm resident shift at time and a half. Ah, the good 'ol days...

my first job was m-th 8-6.

3 day weekend every week. extra days at time and a half. I picked up every other fri as an O.T. Day.

not a lot of jobs like that around any more.

• 2 years later...

Archived