Advice to Beginning PA Students

Guest kprendergast8

It's Saturday night and I'm studying for a huge pharm test that is on Monday. I'm soo tired of studying and just wishhhh I could fit all the drugs in my brain but somehow this post made me feel so much better. It pretty much covered the EXACT way everyone feels in the first couple months (if not the entire time) about PA school. Thanks!:)

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

My strategy is simply creating repetitious visits with the material. For example, let's say that today is Sunday and I am preparing for Monday's lecture:

1) Sunday Night : I print out all lectures from powerpoint in outline form. I read over each outline and make some notes on terms, labs, etc that I don't understand.

2) Monday Morning 5 AM : I read all the outlined lectures that will be presented that day. This allows me not to sit cold in lectures and focus on what the lecturer adds outside the written material.

3) During Lecture : I take notes in the outlines that were created the night before.

notes.jpg

4) End of Day : I will again read over all the outlines that were presented that day and place them into my exam folder. My exam folders hold all exam contents for the next exam only. When the exam is completed it gets moved into a Master Binder.

5) Weekends : I use the weekends to review all outlines that were created for the week.

By constantly reading the material I am able to avoid sitting cold in lectures and carry over concepts from day to day. When it comes to the exam I perform some general review but no studying is really needed due to the amount of exposure I've had. Good luck!

Toolman,

Thanks for the solid input on starting in school, I have some time before classes start and want to front-load the drugs in memory. Do you know where I can find a foundation list of 100 or so?

Any advice on where to get cheap($$) gear?

Thanks ahead of time

• 1 month later...
Guest mmnatera

I'm not a straight "A" student and I couldn't agree more with grades not being an indicator of future performance. Although, it may differentiate those that are more dedicated than others but on the same token I know some that read once and the information is already in their long term memory bank. I know I learn best through interactive learning.

• 1 month later...
Guest fincherdc

For whatever its worth...PA school is tough and is a lot of work, BUT I thought the hardest part was just getting in. Once you are in and have the motivation to do well, the most of the time the rest will follow.

-remember PA school is only temporary, again keep your eye on the prize

-I thought study groups or partners were helpful but it depends on your style of learning

-flash cards for studying for exams worked well for me. The material goes into your head once by the fact that you are making them, then you can "quizz" yourself and keep two stacks of cards; stuff that you know and stuff you don't know. As you repeat through the cards, you just keep at it until your pile of stuff you don't know gets smaller and smaller. Once you can go through the entire stack and know all of them, then you are ready to take the test.

-never hurts to pray before an exam! Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

I would honestly say to catch up on any enjoyable nonmedical books before you start! Because when you do you probably won't have much time for fun reading. Any free time will likely be for extra sleep or a night out with friends! I just completed my first year (it's a 30 month program so not quite as rigorous as a two year but still keeps me busy!) and I would say to try not to be nervous! You might not feel prepared but don't worry. We all felt/feel that way and you will have alot of learning to do. However if you are willing to work hard you will be successful :)

• 2 weeks later...

It's probably been said before, but I'll say it again. Do not just learn material for the exams...know it for good. Of course, we can't remember everything we are presented with, but trust me, things will come back to bite you in the butt. It is not about the "A" on every test. Also, read outside of the material presented to you. PA school is not comprehensive...there are many diseases and conditions not covered.

First year is terrible but I couldn't be more happy to start rotations in less than 3 weeks!!!!

• 1 month later...

I am currently a PA student and am writing because 30% of my class is failing in the first semester. Is this typical? I'm really surprised at how much we have to learn on our own. No real teaching from the professors, just reading us powerpoints and then we go home and learn it on our own. Anyone else having the same experience?

hi. my name is nhk. am from india. am a Certified Respiratory Therapist (CRT). i ve my bachelors and associate degree in respiratory therapy.

I am intersted in Maters in PA program. could any one tell me how may i apply for this program in usa? thank you

Hi nhk, I am also a Registered Respiratory Therapist that is applying for PA school! However, I am a citizen of the United States so I am not sure what steps you would need to take in order to apply. I am sure there are others on this forum that may be of more help to you. Either way, best of luck!

hi. my name is nhk. am from india. am a Certified Respiratory Therapist (CRT). i ve my bachelors and associate degree in respiratory therapy.

I am intersted in Maters in PA program. could any one tell me how may i apply for this program in usa? thank you

nhk- check out and post under the pre-PA thread. i'm sure you will get many helpful responses there.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest perico

Wow. I'm speechless. I have been through all 8 pages of this thread and there was some AWESOME advice. Thanks to the Tool Dude and all who contributed!

However, I have a challenge for you, ToolMan and anyone else who has the experience. I'm in my last year of undergrad learning and expect to go to PA school in a year or so. What would you suggest I do before then? I'm hearing horror stories about First Year PA school... I don't want to experience the horror. Instead I want to be as prepared as possible. Granted, I've got enough units right now to keep me pretty busy but I can always find some time to do what I can to prepare in advance.

Hence, I will seek the tools you suggested (hardware) but you listed waaay too many books. Can you suggest a few precious pearls that will get me up and running for my first year? Anyone?

Thanks a million. You're all awesome people and I'm glad I'll be joining your ranks soon.

:)

Guest sarah56

Thanks for your great advice.I will be needing more of it soon.It is more beneficial for PA students.I am also interested in PA programs.I will be joining soon. :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

Add me to the "thanks" too! Started getting some of the books on Amazon (if you're doing this now, just search for the authors name and get the most up-to-date books....)

Super thread, and one that I am sure I'll be coming back to time and time again! Thanks!!!!:D

• 2 weeks later...

The first year of PA school is tough, nerve racking at times, exhausting and a general suck fest....sorry, but there's no way around it. That having been said, after you get into your own 'groove', you'll figure out how to take advantage of the small slices of time to relax that you would have otherwise dismissed. The hours are long and sometimes it seems as if there's no end in sight, but take comfort in the fact that thousands have come before you and passed, and thousands will come after and pass as well. The biggest hurdle is simply setting your mind to jump in with both feet and take whatever comes at you headon, do that and you'll be fine.

• 1 month later...

Hi Everyone! I love this thread and the advice offered! I begin school in January and am reading for fun now, which I haven't done in a long time. (I'm an older student and had to repeat all my prereqs within the last year. Reading for fun hasn't been an option!) What I would like to know from all of you that have been through the first year is, should I start on like a pathophys. for dummies book or something like it to get a general idea? Or, should I just wait and let it all happen then? I'm not "wasting" time right now but I do feel like I could be doing something. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Don't waste your time, it sounds contrite to say, but even if you read through a patho book, you have no idea if your professor will even go into those topics at depth. At best, maybe skim through basic (and I mean BASIC) cardiology, neuro, endocrine, and a brief look at anatomy. That way, you'll start getting yourself back in 'studious mode', and you won't freak yourself out.

Someone much wiser than me had a great quote awhile back..."Your not supposed to know anything, that's why you're called a student, because you are learning."... If you have any Qs, PM me. Good luck.

You probably can't go wrong with basic review of anatomy and physiology. MikeyBoy is right that you won't be able to yet assess what they'll be dealing you. If anything, maybe a USMLE Step 1 review book, such as from the Blueprints series, might be a nice way to brush up with a mind towards perhaps a few new concepts.

Okay, that's what I was kinda thinking but didn't want to put a lot of time into something that might not be relevant but wanted to get a jump on things if I could. I'm reading "Final Exam" right now and I really like it but wanted something a little more concrete. I guess I'm just ready to let the games begin!

:-)

Thank y'all for your advice. I still have my A&P book on my nightstand so I will open it again and just go over some cobwebs!

Archived