Advice to Beginning PA Students

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

and if you haven't already...don't buy the little black "doctor" bag. I just couldn't imagine myself carrying that into a clinic. wouldn't want to hear the snickering from the nurses...

"oooo...the baby PA wants to be a "doctor" heheheheh"....

"scuse me while I go crawl in a hole now"

-As a student, try not to do things around experienced people that scream out, "YES...I think I'm hot sh*t!" You're just begging for someone to cut you down a few notches. Humility (and a little groveling) is useful.

-EMED/Bandit wrote a "what not to do" list about a year ago. I'll have to dig it up.

You are going to make my clinical year so much better
I don't know if I'm THAT much help, I'm sure you don't need MY help. PS I was at PCOM yesterday...it was lookin' very snappy! I felt smart just walkin' around there!

Guest PA2006

thanks for the advise T Man! Wow...better get started trying to find all of the books that you recommend...actually thought of acquiring some of the study books for the PANCE as I am starting school this fall.

I want to bang the point home a little more on how important (IMHO) it is to have some kind of separate documents/folders on your computer with specific teaching points, or specific test fodder for diseases which is written in YOUR OWN WORDS. Not really notes you've taken in class, but the main points of notes. And not just cutting and pasting from a book (because 75% of the time you read a sentance in a book and say, "Huh" "What does that REALLY mean?"

This is obviously something you have to spend 20 minutes on each day, and not wait till the end of the dicactic year.

The point here is the only way you're gonna remember all this stuff is if it's condensed down enough that you could review it in a half day, and REVIEW IT OFTEN.

Just highlighting the books won't do it. What are you gonna do....review 20,000 pages of books to pick out the highlights (which aren't written in your words and won't stick in your mind anyhow).

Just highlighting handouts won't work (again IMHO). You're gonna get at least 10,000 pages of handouts, (which is literally 3 feet high).

Even if it's nothing more than something like:

- "Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia- dx by Philadelphia Chromasome" (true, that's test fodder, buy you gotta pass the test).

- Respiratory-Metabolic Acidosis/Alkalosis - How YOU will recognize which is which

- Which lab tests confirm which Hepatitis - these are tricky

- Ulcerative collitis vs Crohn's - I have a little chart I made of which sx go to which disease. IBD will be on every test in some way or another.

- Every "Most Common" you've ever heard of

Now you've got it parred down to 300-400 pages of your own notes, written in your own words, that really MEAN something to YOU, (and that you're gonna remember these when pimped). Since they're probably on your word processor, you can easily delete/add as your comfort/knowledge increases.

I'm not saying this will work for everyone. I'm just saying this is what worked for me. Maybe some people CAN just highlight the text and remember it 2 years later. I know Mrs. Toolman can. I know I can't. I've got to read the whole thing over and over until it sinks in my soul, and then I'm able to connect seemingly unconnected pieces to come up with something intelligent, besides saying "ahdunno".

Tool Man, as a 38 year old student, with family and the like, I have been going crazy trying to figure out ways to better manage my time when school begins June 1st.

I always wonder how to learn better study skills, since as you mentioned, all the highlighting in the world, all the long-hand rewriting will not help retain, but simply to pass an exam...

I want to KNOW the stuff, not only to pass the obvious certification exams, but to be confident in properly assessing and caring for PEOPLE because that's what we're in the business of and for - to help human beings....

So again, Thank you for your suggestions as more and more you are giving me (and I"m sure others) crucial information on becoming a better student, and therefore a better PA. :cool:

What is your specialty? Have you ever considered teaching as well? Or giving a "surviving PA or improving your skills" type of class?

Just a suggestion, you are great.

Take care,

Opthalmaloscope/otoscope - $300-$500 OUCH. I tried finding something at EBay, but couldn't see anything. There was some good prices at Steeles.com. You just don't use it much. Get something cheap.

Stethoscope $75-$200 Don't scrimp here. Get the best one you can afford. You won't regret having quality.

BP/cuff- I found a cheap one at Allheart.com for like $26. You could order different size cuffs then too.

Tuning fork, reflex hammer, pen light, tape measure, etc, you can buy anywhere. Get the cheapest dang stuff you can find.

hey toolman,

you mentioned medical equipment in an earlier post. which ones are we expected to have for ourselves?

Here is my suggestion. What I did to save money was get together people who have not bought their equipments. Then I called Steeles.com. The owner was pretty nice. He will give you a group deal is you get together at least 8 or more people. I suggest calling steeles.com. You'll save a lot of money.

Opthalmaloscope/otoscope - $300-$500 OUCH. I tried finding something at EBay, but couldn't see anything. There was some good prices at Steeles.com. You just don't use it much. Get something cheap.

Stethoscope $75-$200 Don't scrimp here. Get the best one you can afford. You won't regret having quality.

BP/cuff- I found a cheap one at Allheart.com for like $26. You could order different size cuffs then too.

Tuning fork, reflex hammer, pen light, tape measure, etc, you can buy anywhere. Get the cheapest dang stuff you can find.

Hmmm...I wonder if i can go to home depot for the last stuff.....reflex hammer (I guess a small mallet will do), tuning fork ..( i can look in the kitchen supplies sexn) .......yes yes. :p

-Sillyg00se

I am watching some of my fellow classmates developing illnesses from suppressing stress. Be honest with yourself - admit that the process is stressful, because truth be told - it is very stressful.

But, if you get honest with yourself (to thine own self be true) and admit the stress (rather than continue to play the competitve "cool-calm-collected" on the outside game), you will save your body a lot of hardship. Besides, you are no good to future patients if you don't have your own health.

Like my signature statement notes, experience comes with age - and as we age we realize what is truly the small stuff that we need not sweat. I am watching classmates memorize every dot and tittle on the page for exams only to confuse the heck out of themselves at exam time. Look at the big picture - get the concepts.

Last year's PA class said that if they had it to do over, they would take just a little more time to relaxing. I hear that loud and clear! That doesn't mean slack off. It means put it all in perspective and see the light at the end of the tunnel more often. ;)

Just some advice for what it's worth.

Don't "compare" yourself to others in your class. It's very competative. Whenever you put 50 overacheivers in the same room together...there's gonna be competition. (Med school is putting 200 overacheivers in the same room together.)

EMED has spoken of his experience with "gunner's" (people who take competition to a new height). I know it's easier said than done, but try not to listen.

Typical statements might be,

"God, I got a 96 on the last test(and the class avg was 76), and I studied like 2 hours for it..."

"I don't know how I aced the last test...maybe I should start reading the book"

Mind games. Just focus on what you're there to do.

The point is...don't get sucked into thinking that you're not good if you don't get a 96, or that you won't be a good PA because you got a 70.

When my brother came home from Vietnam, he had a saying, "It don't mean nothin'. Just buck up, ruck up, and move on down the road."........good advice.

I've been reading about how nervous some pre-1st years are getting before even stepping into the front doors of their respective P.A. Programs. I'm actually feeling quite the opposite. I'm not really feeling nervous, but just laid back and excited/anxious. Is/has anyone else felt like this prior to beginning school?

• 4 months later...

I bookmarked this thread a while back, and have read it often - especially as midterms came closer and the stress levels rocketed. It's been very reassuring! I also kept a list of most commons, and sure enough, they were on the tests.

But now I have a question, Wise Man of Tools... I'd like to try your idea on the 50 most common drugs, but how will I know which ones are most common? We've been presented a whole slew of adrenergic drugs, and all are familiar names except the glaucoma agents. How do I narrow it down? Is the 'top 200' list at places like rxlist.com a reliable place to start? (W/o the celebrex, of course :D )

Let's keep this valuable thread going... any other sage voices have pearls to share?

Archived