Advice to Beginning PA Students

I'll work on a list of the drugs I think are the most used.

I don't know about sage...maybe just old guy

I think the main point is just keep going. Whether you feel like you know something or know nothing. Whether you get good grades or C's. Whether your preceptors or asses or nice. Whether you feel like an imposter or the hot stuff.

You're being asked to learn how to do most of a job with just 2 years of training (sometimes mediocre or crappy ) which usually takes 7 years to teach. The fact that PA students SHOW UP EVERY DAY is incredibly impressive to me.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. It's always GOOD to go to class, no matter how tired you are or how you'd rather study for a test in another class. There's only 82 of us and it can be pretty obvious when people skip. Besides, when people, they end up getting lost in whatever was lectured in previously & eventually get behind.

2. Study for all your classes everyday (at least try to). I like to keep on top of things and make sure I'm prepared for lectures the next day and it also helps keeps things fresh in my head so I'm not truly cramming for a test. Most people totally neglect other classes until one test is over and then they get overwhelmed. We have 2-3 tests/week but you just can't neglect other classes!

3. Our PA faculty constantly remind us not to worry so much about grades, as long as you're learning what you need to know and you're passing, that's all that matters!! Remember, your patient isn't gonna care if you get an A+ or B- in neuroscience!!

4. Have FUN! It may seem difficult now, but it's what can keep you from going crazy. Having a good group of classmates to support you helps :)

Just a random suggestion here..any opportunity you have to get involved in patient care during your didactic year...TAKE IT! The more experience you have in getting your hands wet in the process of patient care will make your clinical rotations that much more beneficial to your learning experience. One thing that I have found most helpful out in the wards is to pay attention to every initial H & P case presentation given for newly admitted patients. You will be doing this for the patients that you will be following, but listen when they are presenting patients on your service that you may not have to follow. You will learn a great deal from each case. Its good to listen & think about how each patient presents and to try and figure out what YOU would do with the patient and see if you agree with the course of action taken by the residents etc. Learn from the choices (good and bad) that were made with each patient. Never be afraid to ask questions & offer suggestions for patient care if appropriate. The clinical year is challenging but have fun with it & sleep when you can!

:)

Mon

Monika, your suggestions are wonderful. I agree wholeheartedly that it is important to listen to cases. I was warned that a surgery rotation can break your spirit and the young female interns on mine are doing the best to try that.

Fortunately, I am far more resilient and persistent than to allow it.

Unfortunately, their own insecurities and inexperience have caused them to attempt to keep me out of the loop.

I listen on rounds and read charts, but have learned to reserve my questions for either more senior residents or nurses.

Thank goodness I have had work experience and know how to get the answers I need. I love to go to a certain voice chat program and when someone annoys us enough, we can place them on "ignore." Since I am consistently getting the ignore treatment from these interns, I am now going to place them on "ignore" and move a little higher up the ladder for what I need. This is all so very sad and a darn shame. It has been a very long time since I have had to contend with the nastiness of school yard bullies.

But, thank you for reinforcing that my thinking in terms of learning cases is on track.

:)

Guest lostlight

what is this alleged list of most commons that you speak of laughing angel?? where did u see it, I would like to take a peek at it also. If its on this thread i must be tired, because i did not see it :confused:

Someone recommended to me that I read Norman Cousins "Anatomy of an Illness" prior to starting PA school.

I got 2 good quotes from this book and highly recommend it.

1. A warm smile and an outstretched hand are valued above the offerings of modern science

2. Time is the one thing that patients need most... Time to be heard, to have things explained, to be reassured...

I would greatly appreciate any other suggestions of books along this line that will cause me to think and help to mold me into a better PA

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest pizzapizza

Toolman,

Thanks for your great advice once again! I just got my copy of Most Common Manual in the mail from Amazon-what a resource. I will definately keep this book handy and the other one is on the way. :)

• 2 months later...
Guest DiverDown

Hey there, I know this thread might seem a little "stale", but the advice is exactly what I needed at this point before heading out to school this Fall. I have one thing to add: If you can manage it, go to a PA conference either state or local (don't know anything about nationals). While there, take a walk through the drug rep area and check out the propaganda. This is a GREAT place to load up on some basic medical equipment. Last year I got three BP cuffs (adult, thigh and child), reflex hammer, measuring tape, nice penlight and tons of pens (gave those away to my students). Talk to the PAs, explain where you are in the process and you will be impressed at the advice, wisdom and even friendship these people will extend.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest PAtob

Thank you all for helping us PA's to be. I have a little notebook that I keep by my computer so that I can jot down some of the excellent suggestions. Thanks a bunch

• 1 month later...

Hi! I will be starting PA school this summer and learned something that might be beneficial to others that have been accepted but have not yet started school. I will be able to go back onto my parents health insurance right now even though I havent started school and have not been a full time student for a few years. The insurance company just asked that I obtain some sort of letter from the school showing my acceptance and intent to attend full time in August. This may not work for everyone depending on their age and parents health insurance but its worth looking into.

Guest Buttons

Hello, All

Tool man which books should we purchase that you had reccommended on the site first due to financial restrictions? In addition, please expand on the questions of the information via the review books.

Thank you,

Buttons

I don't think I listed this book The language of medicine

It's a great book to go through a couple of months before PA school starts.

Don't worry about review books if you're not in classes yet. Those books are only good if you're about to take a test on, say, cardiology, you go into the review books and go through the cardiology questions. That's why it's good to have a lot of review books, because it doesn't take long to go through 50 questions.

Guest lissie0113
Absolutely, it's all about "balance" - my school went from taking in people with practical experience to choosing last year to go for the GPA and I hear that many of the 20 something year old graduates in molecular blah blah are not doing so great in the physical exams/people skills part of the program, but are kicking *** in the exam.

In the end, will a patient prefer someone who has knowledge and people skilss or someone who has a 4.o and not a clue about how to make them comfortable???

So, I totally agree with your point.

I dont think thats quite fair. i am one of those people who just came out of undergrad, and who is used to the tests and might do better at them for that reason.........but when you are right out of undergrad, it isnt possible to have the experience that the older students have, the ones who have been in the field for years. I am confident that in time, most of the PA students will do fine with patients, once they get used to actually being a PA. That is a skill that takes practice, and i dont think you should be so quick to condemn those who are trying to become comfortable in the PA-patient setting........

Toolman,

I just got a PDA and I am learning to use it. I was wondering what specific programs would be useful to load into it?

I start PA school next month.

thanks,

Danielle

In addition to any suggestions you get here, check out the 'technology in the classroom' thread, found in the FAQ sticky. I haven't linked in every useful post about PDAs yet, but I've gotten quite a few in there. I'd love to get some feedback on whether or not that list of threads (and the posts in them) is helpful, too, if you have a moment.

Hi Danielle,

This topic has been covered very extensively if you go over to the PA student forum sticky titled "PA Student General Discussion FAQs". There are about 162 posts under the thread titled "Technology in the Classroom". You will find it very helpful, along with all the other great advice there for PA students.

Here you go http://www.physicianassistant.net/forums/showthread.php?t=4021

Take care :)

Man, I just replied and it got erased!

I just wanted to say thank you I appreciate the information it very much. The "technology in the classroom" thread is very helpful. I will have to do some research on all of the programs.

I start PA school in 2 weeks!

I also found this program I will let you know if I find it helpful. It is called "PA toolbox" and I paid $50 for it, but it has so many things in it.

Some of the headings include: Abx wizard, ACLS, calculaters (which contain all kinds of calculations too many to mention ex- creatinine clearance, anion gap, etc), Medi tools ( too many to name ex- childhood vaccinations, laboratory normal values, orthopedic glossary, EKG info, etc),fluid wizard, PA consult, PediCode, PediDrugs, PediFever, PediGrowth, PediOTC, Toxicology, and Davis' Drug Guide.

I found it on http://www.medicalwizards.com/client/freedownload.aspx?op=D&productid=83.

I hope it helps. I will let you know how useful it is when I learn what I will be using for sure.

Danielle

• 2 months later...

[-ARC-PA: is a governing body that dictates to schools what they will require for a school to have in order for them to “approve” them. Schools contort themselves every which way to make them happy. There will be things you’ll see in school that will make no sense, but it’s not about you, it’s about the school contorting themselves to impress ARC-PA.

Thank you for saying this, you just don't know how I appreciate this...

LesH

Archived