Advice to Beginning PA Students

Toolman, you're awesome. And yes, you SHOULD write a book. It is discouraging to go to Barnes and Noble or other bookstores and find nothing of value about the PA profession. Going on Amazon, I don't see any special books that have the kind of info you're offering. Perhaps you know other PA's who would also contribute to such a book. I'LL BUY IT. And I bet hundreds of PA students will, too. Gawd knows how many hours I spent researching, asking questions and trying to find out what the hell I'm getting myself into, only to find a huge part of my questions answered, condensed perhaps, but still good, in your columns. Do it, Toolman!

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

granted I graduated a long time ago but the best thing I did was get into a study group. At first you'll have people in there that will let everyone else do all the work but eventually you'll figure out who you should study with. Also the night before an exam study by yourself. What you don't know keep going over it, what you do know leave it alone, you already know it. I use to take 2 pain relievers (asa) and the med students told us to eat smarties about a half hour before. It will give you a sugar buzz and knock off any late night leftover sleepiness. It does work, I just took the panre. Before I went in about one hour I took aleve. and a half hour before I ate smarties and I was fit to go. Good luck, you'll make and excellent pa!

Before I went in about one hour I took aleve. and a half hour before I ate smarties and I was fit to go.

Wow! Thanks! I've never heard of the Smarties trick. My undergrad. Bio. professor once told me that there was research that supported the idea that if you study on a drug, like caffeine, you should also test on that same drug. He is a very intelligent man and I have always held to that idea. Guess I'll have to eat peanut M&M's right before I take a test! Same as Smarties except with some protein!

• 1 month later...

Wow how have I missed this thread until now? I think I've just met my new "bible" for the next 7 months. Awesome advice...esp toolman (any further thought on a book? you'd be a millionaire, no doubt). Thanks for the info again...I'm ready to take the plunge spring '10:)

• 3 weeks later...

Question for students/veterans: How essential is it to get the NEWEST edition of the medical reference books listed in pg 1,3,4 of this thread (ie harrisons, 5 min consult)? I'll be starting in the spring & looking to order some of these books. Is 2007 or 2008 ok Or should I be picky and accept only 2009 or 2010....for the extra 80-100 bucks? I'd like to save a few bucks...as these are all "extra" reads, but I also want to be sure I have a good reference that won't be completely out of date by the time I'm finally practicing....

hello everyone my name is rath

im currently a junior in high school and i have a strong desire to become a PA

what do you suggest i do during these time to prepare my self for what is ahead

i attend a vocational school in the nursing program i will soon be getting my cna thats the only certificate you can get in the program

i plan on using my cna as a stepping stone and experience in health care

any input is appreciated thanks you

please forgive me if i post in the wrong section

Guest SarMarie123

Hi everyone! I am currently a student and am using this website for the first time. I am still trying to figure out the navigation. : ) I am just starting out in college but I am an aspiring PA. Any advice from anyone would be greatly appreciated! I really don't know where to start or what I should major in. I guess that would be a good starting point... What should I major in? Thanks in advance!

Start by reading every and all posts on this forum!! :)

I think when I first found the forum, I read every single one and was fascinated for weeks, reading and more reading...then when you find something that doesnt make sense or that you need clarification, ask!

Major in something that you will enjoy doing if PA school doesn't pan out or you change your mind later on.

Good Luck! and Welcome to the forum!!!

Is there a current list of textbooks that would be useful for those who are accepted but have not started ? Any books that current or former PA students wish they had read again?

Guest charlesedwin

Hi prospective pa.

You are right. At first I also thought to read like overview, but then I realised and read many of the post carefully and in detail. It helps a lot to me.

• 1 month later...

Questions for those who have graduated:

Do you think that having a degree from a highly regarded and better ranked PA school makes a big difference in getting the job you want? When it comes down to choosing which school to go to, im not sure if rank outweighs cost and closeness to family... advice?

I like the advice of reading all of the posts. Before I started PA school I read a lot of these posts and I think it helped prepare my wife and I. Reading before PA school I think is going to be a waste. There is no way to know what is important and whats not until you actually get in and start classes. Don't get me wrong I was in the same place as everyone else last year. Classes don't start for months and you want to be prepared, and want to feel like you are already getting things accomplished. I wanted to read everything I could before classes started. If you really feel like you really need to read something, take my advice. Don't spend a bunch of time reading physiology, anatomy, etc. Just check out the central nervous system. Read about sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous system. So many things relate to this. If you have a good understanding of this system and how it relates to everything, you will be in good shape.

First, get your Indian credentials evaluated by the World Education Services. Then, write to some Foreign-Grad friendly Institution who have experience dealing with Foreign Grads. Ask them about whether your pre-requisites/requirements are OK. If you are short on some, get ready to complete them. Then apply through CASPA. I'll tell you off the bat that most institutions would not even consider your application, but once you get in the door ANYWHERE in a recognized accredited PA program, the sky is the limit. The PANCE has to be taken by all students -- whether or not they come from the so-called "Top Quality Schools" . Also, let me tell you that most of these so-called "big names" and "top quality schools" tend to restrict their entries to what they consider are the tried and tested, that is, US grads with a very high GPA and very good GRE scores. Also, take the GRE and get a very good score (as near 2000 as possible). Best of luck and don't give up.

OK, I've decided to get a BS PA degree and worry about an MS later. Can anyone

please recommend a good BS PA degree school? The AAPA site doesn't like them.

Its a chore to go through all 140+ schools to find one that meets my criteria.

Send 'em in! Thanks!

Guest starvingstudent
OK, I've decided to get a BS PA degree and worry about an MS later. Can anyone

please recommend a good BS PA degree school? The AAPA site doesn't like them.

Its a chore to go through all 140+ schools to find one that meets my criteria.

Send 'em in! Thanks!

http://www.washington.edu/medicine/som/depts/medex/applicants/programinformation.htm

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest wicketmaster

definitely all about balance it seems...pa school is more demanding than med school i'm told!! if you are interested in looking at different PA specialties my good friend just started up a website where you can read different interviews with PAs in different specialties like ER, etc. If you are unsure about what a "day in the life of" sort of thing would be for the different specialities, i would recommend checking this website out! it's called prospectivepa and the link is http://www.prospectivepa.com/RESEARCH-THE-PA-PROFESSION-SPECIALTY-PROFILES-MAIN.html

i hope this is helpful to a lot of people!! pa's rock =-)

Archived