Reapplying for Next Cycle

Hi all,

I am just looking for some suggestions for ways that I can strengthen my application for reapplying next cycle. I applied to three schools this cycle (all pretty local) and received zero interviews. I know I need to apply more broadly and earlier next cycle. I also think I need to add some more volunteer hours, as many of mine were from when I was an undergrad (about two years ago).  Any suggestions for where to volunteer? Any other ideas or tips on how I can strengthen other areas would be greatly appreciated!

GPA: 3.59 (B.S. in Biology)

Science GPA: 3.54

GRE: 159 verbal, 153 quantitative, 3.5 analytical

HCE: 2500 hrs hospital phlebotomist (it's roughly 3000 now)

Shadowing: 15 hours, Oncology PA

LOR's: An undergrad professor, my current phlebotomy supervisor, and a past co-worker/friend I worked with in high school/early college

I thought my personal statement was strong, I had a couple of current PA's read over it, including one who had been involved with admissions at another school.

I'll admit that I think my supplemental essays may have been lacking. I was burnt out and distracted, and I think I could have done better.

Any other questions, let me know. Thank you!

I think you made a mistake by not having an LOR from a PA.   You mentioned they read over your personal statement, but none wrote an LOR for you.

You should try to get an LOR from a PA and one from an MD for the next cycle.  The third can be your professor or your supervisor.

Also, maybe you should try (if financially possible) to get a different type of HCE.   I don't think phlebotomy ranks high as good HCE.  Maybe CNA or EMT.

As far as your GPA and GRE numbers, they look good enough to score an interview, so I don't think they were the reason why you did not get one.

Thank you all for the feedback!

I agree, I think having the LOR from a PA would be very beneficial. One of the PA's who read my personal statement is a relative, so I didn't think it would be appropriate to have one from her. I am going to try getting one from another PA though.

As for the HCE, doing CNA doesn't really make much sense for my situation because I have about the same amount of patient contact as they do. And where I work, I would say our quality of HCE is about the same. I am with patients all day, in and out of rooms, clarifying orders with providers and nurses. The CNA's mainly clean/change people, get them water or blankets, and take vitals. I don't think it would be beneficial enough for me to spend the money on the classes, just to get about the same quality of HCE.

I agree that EMT is probably better quality HCE, and I did think about it. It's just a matter of affording it. Plus, from what I've observed around here, it is difficult to get a position as a practicing EMT. I wouldn't want to spend all the money and time on the classes and be unable to utilize it. I guess I'm kind of on the fence about it.

I know phlebotomy is generally not seen as the highest quality of HCE, but I do believe my position is a little higher quality than some. I am full time in the hospital, constantly working with patients in all areas, from ICU to OB to Oncology. I also work with a complete age range of patients, from birth all the way up. I am currently leading the development of our new training program for new employees, as well. I am not trying to discredit what you are all saying about better HCE. I realize there is better out there to be had. It's just a matter of it being beneficial in my situation.

Again, thank you for all of your suggestions, and keep them coming!

• 9 months later...

Advice needed. I am reapplying (again) for P.A. School. I want to get out of lobbying and into the healthcare field. I still plan to do public policy as a practitioner but not as my primary job.

Science GPA: 3.41

Undergrad GPA (1996): 3.29

Graduate GPA (Master of Public Health): 3.77

Post Bacc (20 hours): 4.0

Overall GPA: 3.4

GRE Verbal: 163; Quantitative: 158; Analytical Writing: 4.0

Work experience: 2000+ HCE hours as diagnostic imaging services testing coordinator for internal medicine clinic (underserved population)

Other experiences: HIV/AIDS behavioral research (CDC); advocacy for bill passage of no smoking in restaurants and bars (MN); advocacy for unprecedented increases in state funding for affordable housing and homelessness (MN); Hurricanes Katrina and Rita - coordination of emergency relief efforts for LA. (Leadership and community service are my strong suits, the only weakness I can surmise here is that I've been out of the public health/medical arena for some time)

Other weaknesses: C in Organic Chemistry 2 (which I plan to correct this spring). I also finished my application right on the deadline. Since this was the first year I applied to more than one school I wasn't aware that more application materials were needed in addition to CASPA. So I ended up turning in supplemental questions/narratives late.

Major screwup: I had been recruited by a school opening a new program and had been invited to interview there. I delayed the application because I was lobbying for an increase in funding to affordable housing and homeless programs and had no time to take the prerequisites during legislative session (3 were required - there was no way). I didn't get invited for an interview the following year (and was laid off after my boss found out I was pursuing a career change - that was awful). The adcomm explained they had received so many apps with 4.0 GPAs. I was floored.

As a Gen Xer, that really opened my eyes to the new millenia - and grade inflation. 4.0 GPAs were so rare for STEM majors at Texas A&M University in the 90s, and from what I understand - still are at TAMU but not for many other schools. (For the cost of education these days, they better make it worthwhile!) I can't go back and change that GPA now but it's super frustrating when you've taken some science courses over and keep scoring over 97% in the classes and can't even land an interview. (I made a 103% in Chemistry last year!)

Do I give up? What gives? Will I never get in with a 3.29 GPA from 2 decades ago?

Or will I finally be taken seriously if I 1. take Org Chem 2 over and get an A (which I'm confident I can do this after recently scoring a 103% in reg Chem., 98% in Biochem); 2. get my applications in early; and 3. volunteer at a local community health clinic serving the homeless?

@mtcanon I think applying early will be a good booster to your application. More volunteer experience won't hurt, but I think it would be more beneficial to get stronger direct patient care HCE. I'm not sure exactly what your role was as diagnostic imaging services testing coordinator, but was there much patient contact as far as actually touching patients, getting vitals, anything of that sort? You'll be competing against some people with more direct patient contact. Just something to consider instead of volunteer since some schools prefer paid HCE over volunteer.

Grade inflation is a real beast, but most universities (versus community colleges) don't fall too far into that trap. Adcoms look at where the grades come from (4 yr vs CC) and take that into account.

Overall, I would suggest getting all of your application material in earlier and maybe widen your net of schools.

Shadow a TON and in as many different fields as you can! Also volunteering would be great. I have a lot of volunteer experience and most of it is not healthcare related but working with a creative problem solving children's competition. I think your HCE is great and I don't think it makes sense to get your CNA or EMT at this point because by the time you're certified and find a job you won't have many hours to show for it anyways. I think showing your commitment to the profession through shadowing and volunteering in anything you are passionate about will help show how well rounded and dedicated you are. 

Related but in a different way, please know that CASPA is launching on a completely new platform next year (April 22, 2015) and there will be NO option for applicants to 'reapply' like they have been in the past. Everyone applying in the 15-16 cycle will have to start a completely new application. 

The reapplication option will return in 2016-2017 (April 2016). 

Thank you,
Danielle

Archived