Extra Income During PA School?

Hi, I will be starting PA school this summer.

I have heard that it is very difficult to have a job during PA school and I don't plan on having a steady job as I want to focus completely on study -  I was just wondering if any of you current PA students have found ways to make a little extra income during school in the few free moments that you have?  Any advice would be great!  Thank you

I worked part time as a flight medic for most of my didactic year.  It worked out to be 12-24 hours a week.  This was on top of classes and studying.  What little down time I had was sucked up by having to go to work.  Between the stress of school and trying to work I wound up sick with a head cold I just couldn't kick (not fun with altitude changes).  So I let it go.

Having tried it, I can't recommend it.

Use those few free moments you will have to decompress.  Do something fun.  Spend time with friends, family, go for a hike... whatever.  Don't spend it by having to go to work.

• Administrator

I taught EMT classes 1-2 Saturdays per month, and worked as a volunteer firefighter all but about 6 months of my 27-month program.  I didn't ask permission; the student agreement specified that outside work was not recommended and would not be accommodated if it conflicted with program attendance. I made it work.

First, check with your program regarding their policy. Some programs make you sign something looking like a sworn statement that you will not work during the academic year. Our policy is to recommend that people do not work; I have always felt that what a student does in their time outside of school is their business.

Your organizational and time management skills will determine what might be possible. Settle in through midterms and see what your schedule is like. When I meet with a struggling student, one of the first things I ask about is time management and outside committments. I often discover a conflict.

I make about $200/month renting my house.  There are a couple people in my class that bartend when they go home on breaks, or one weekend a month, or so.  In my opinion it's just not worth it.  You will hardly make enough to make a dent in your loans, but you'll take away from what little time you'll have to relax and unwind.  To me, having some balance in my life is more valuable than a few dollars.

Thanks for the comments.  My wife is a fairly new teacher (they don't get paid anything close to what they deserve) and I know we will be strapped as far as bills go but I think we will be able to get by.  Since I don't have a house to rent out :), I will probably just see how it is once I am in school and go from there.  Thanks again! 

Many people worked in my program and passed. They had to trade time for work. Now, just because they passed didnt mean they wouldn't have learned more had they had that extra tjme. Just because you pass doesn't mean you couldn't have done better/absorbed more. I didn't work, and was able to study as many hours as id like and still have some time to unwind. I feel like I was able to absorb and take advantage of pa school to its fullest potential by dedicating my two years to only this.

Remember, you'll get out of your program what you put in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are in a program that is at or near a school that does a lot of grad research you might be able to make a little extra money as a paid research test subject. This doesn't mean you have to take experimental drugs or do anything that could be deleterious to your health. Some studies will pay you for a simple blood draw or $50-60 and hour to lay in an MRI machine. Both of which are relatively harmless (unless you are claustrophobic). I'd personally avoid any drug tests, exposure to radiation imaging, or anything overly invasive but that up to you personally. You're not going to be making tens of thousands a year but a little extra spending money for food and such can help when the budget is tight.

I tried the gigolo thing for a while but it didn't pan out.

Anywho, I am currently setting up a gig where I do at home insurance physicals for a nation-wide company.  Still finding out details, but a friend of mine does it and says it can be a good gig.  You have to have a good background in medicine to qualify for it...military medic, paramedic, or RN.  You have to know how to do lab draws, EKG, V/S, and BMI....easy stuff.

If I take the offer, I will do it on weekends.  I am first year, third semester.

• 1 month later...

Pa chick, how did you find out about the market research opportunities?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I found that opportunity on Craigslist. Many research groups (both academic and corporate) post the opportunities the same way they post job openings. They often have a link where you will provide some basic demographic info and your email address to determine if you are eligible. Even if you don't qualify for a certain gig, give a few companies your email address and often they will email you when new stuff pops up. I often get things for video games, social media questionnaires, and new product testing.

You should be able to live on loans alone TBH.  I have to agree with others who suggest that working may not be the best investment of time - unless you can get a work study job, which would be ideal.  It is better to have some balance and extra study time vs bartending or whatever.  In the end, it's better to not be totally burnt out and to have a stronger medical base knowledge then to have a little extra money.  Besides, you can earn so much more as a PA then doing some side work as a student.  No offense intended to those who worked through school, as I worked full time myself through undergrad, and believe this is only a small part of what determines how good or bad of an education you get in school.  If you absolutely have to work (eg supporting a family or you just waste the extra time anyway), try to first find a job you can study during, and if not, then find a job doing something you enjoy and won't get a chance to do once you're a PA.

I look at it that you are investing your time/money/etc into YOUR education.  You take out what you put into it.  For me I want to focus on school so I can be that much more knowledgeable and confident after I graduate.  Like what was previously mentioned; even though you might have passed you may still have been able to get more out of your studies had you invested that extra time.  I think it depends on how much you can handle, everyone is different.  Some people can do it and come out just fine.

Archived