Ways to improve GPA for the next cycle?

I recently received a few rejection letters due to my sub standard GPA. My CASPA calculated science gpa was 2.95 and my cGPA was 3.09. My post bacc gpa was 3.80 after taking about 12 credit hours. I graduated in 2007 with a Bachelors in Biology so for some schools my pre-reqs are about to expire. My question is how should I improve my GPA? Should I enroll in a Masters program or retake classes that I received a C in to make myself competitive?

I know GPA is just one part of the application process so here is a little background about my overall application. My GRE scores are as follows: V 156, Q 154 and A 3.5. I have 12000 direct patient contact hours and had a chance to shadow 3 different PA's in different specialties. I currently work as a Certified Ophthalmic technician and was recently promoted as a study coordinator for a well known pharmaceutical company. My LOR's were from two Ophthalmologists and 1 PA that I shadowed and I trust that they were positive. I knew going into the application process that my GPA wasn't competitive but I wanted to see if I stood a chance in this very competitive pool of applicants. I plan to reapply next year but with an improved application especially in the GPA department.

Any input is much appreciated! Thank you in advance!

Your cumulative science GPA is below the 3.0 that many programs require. Make sure you know the standards of the program to which you are applying, as this may get you tossed immediately. Also, your GRE writing section score is below the suggested 4.0 of many schools. And lastly, ophthalmic work is very…focused/narrow. Not the common route for patient experience and learning.

I recently received a few rejection letters due to my sub standard GPA. My CASPA calculated science gpa was 2.95 and my cGPA was 3.09. My post bacc gpa was 3.80 after taking about 12 credit hours. I graduated in 2007 with a Bachelors in Biology so for some schools my pre-reqs are about to expire. My question is how should I improve my GPA? Should I enroll in a Masters program or retake classes that I received a C in to make myself competitive?

I know GPA is just one part of the application process so here is a little background about my overall application. My GRE scores are as follows: V 156, Q 154 and A 3.5. I have 12000 direct patient contact hours and had a chance to shadow 3 different PA's in different specialties. I currently work as a Certified Ophthalmic technician and was recently promoted as a study coordinator for a well known pharmaceutical company. My LOR's were from two Ophthalmologists and 1 PA that I shadowed and I trust that they were positive. I knew going into the application process that my GPA wasn't competitive but I wanted to see if I stood a chance in this very competitive pool of applicants. I plan to reapply next year but with an improved application especially in the GPA department.

Any input is much appreciated! Thank you in advance!

I would retake the C's (I had one C on my transcript and every school I interviewed at asked about it) and also take some more science classes that could be relevant to PA school (immunology, genetics, etc.) ..but make sure you do well in them....

Archived