DEA help and starting pay

As a new grad I've been offered a couple of jobs at 45$ an hour (urgent cares) and another for 35$ hr.  The latter seems a bit low but I am considering because of the specialty (family) and the doc's apparent willingness to train me.  Does this seem legit, or am I getting low balled?  Inland empire area.

As far as my understanding of the law a PA MUST have his own DEA number to prescribe scheduled medications as well as the controlled substance course to prescribe without pre approval from the doc for each patient.  It seems that every interview I've gone to Ive been told I don't need a DEA because we write under the doc's.  What is this? starting to remind me of sketchy private ambulance company nonsense from my EMT days.  Is this common, is it legal?  I have no problem paying the 800$ for the DEA number, they just want me to work sooner rather than later while the DEA is processing......

Thanks for any info.

I worked for 15 years without a DEA number.  The biggest problem now is that some private insurance companies now demand an active DEA number as part of their credentialing.  If you don't have it, they don't credential. If they don't credential, they don't pay for your care for their subscribers.  It makes no sense to me and seems to be another sorry excuse not to pay, but this is reality at least in Washington state.  We tried to employ a PT PA last year and that's where we got hung up.  He had a DEA, but it was not registered to our address.

I'm really confused on the DEA license myself. I will be attending the controlled substance course this weekend but I have not paid for the DEA license. I've been told by friends who are PA's to wait until I have a job because sometimes the Docs will reimburse you for the license. But being that I will be considered a new grad, I'm concerned not having a DEA license will hinder me from getting a job. Then again my limited job searches are not asking for a DEA license, just to be licensed as PA. Also if I do pay for the DEA before I am employed will it be a problem using my home address for the license. Any bit of info helps. Thanks 

Thanks for the replies.

I think you need a place of employment to actually get a DEA number, it requires you fill in an employment address.  The jobs that require a DEA, I'm assuming are saying that as a clinician you will be using your own number rather than a doc's and probably that they won't pay for it.  From the interviews I have been on they know it takes about a week to process and it didn't bother them at all.

As a new grad I've been offered a couple of jobs at 45$ an hour (urgent cares) and another for 35$ hr. The latter seems a bit low but I am considering because of the specialty (family) and the doc's apparent willingness to train me. Does this seem legit, or am I getting low balled? Inland empire area.

As far as my understanding of the law a PA MUST have his own DEA number to prescribe scheduled medications as well as the controlled substance course to prescribe without pre approval from the doc for each patient. It seems that every interview I've gone to Ive been told I don't need a DEA because we write under the doc's. What is this? starting to remind me of sketchy private ambulance company nonsense from my EMT days. Is this common, is it legal? I have no problem paying the 800$ for the DEA number, they just want me to work sooner rather than later while the DEA is processing......

Thanks for any info.

Do not take a job at $35/hr regardless of the specialty...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived