How long would you put up with this?

Its been a while since I posted this, but I decided to move on. Tomorrow is my last day. I already have another job lined up and will be starting in about a month once all the paperwork goes through. This experience has definitely made me more cautious about who to work for in the future. Some advice I can offer to anyone else looking for jobs... particularly new graduates... make sure you really research the position and the supervisory physician. If people have left, ask why. Ask if you can contact the PAs who left. After all, they're going to be checking your references... why shouldn't you check theirs? If they say no, then consider moving on. Don't be sucked in by a big salary, especially if you're new. And if you're a new graduate going into a surgical subspecialty, make sure you ask what formal training and evaluation will be provided. Taking call sounds exciting when you're new and can look like "easy money" because you think you're getting paid to sit at home or sleep. You're not. If its a busy service, you will get called frequently. Your quality of life will suffer, particularly if you have a family. (I took 90+ hours of call every 2 week pay period.) And stand up for yourself. Its natural to want to be a "yes man" or a team player especially when you're new. But if you feel like you're honestly being mistreated you need to step up right away. I stood toe to toe with my SP about 4 months into the job. He apologized and we talked some things over, but a week later things were bad all over again. I think I waited too long and had already set a precedent that I would take it. Follow your gut. When I was looking for jobs, I was offered an interview for a job I already knew was great. I had rotated there, knew many of the PAs, and had a good friend from school going there too. I was sucked in by this other "surgical subspecialty" job that sounded like a fantastic opportunity but had some red flags (ie, people leaving after a month or so). I decided to accept the challenge, and in the end it was a poor choice. Luckily, that great job had another opening, they were willing to interview me despite the fact that I turned them down before, and I was offered the job. My final piece of advice would be to really think twice before you explode on a nurse, tech, fellow PA, janitor, etc. Crappy attitudes are infectious in hospitals. Its easy to mistreat people when you've been mistreated. Let the cycle end with yourself and don't ruin someone else's day.

I'm glad to hear this worked out for you. It sounds like in the end things turned for the better. I like to see PAs stick up for themselves and know their value. I never understood why people in the medical field find it necessary to berate each other. I understand being a tough preceptor wanting the best for the student, but still there is a line that does not need to be crossed. There is a right and wrong way to go about things but people in the medical field seem to be prone to crossing it. Good luck at the new job

... My final piece of advice would be to really think twice before you explode on a nurse, tech, fellow PA, janitor, etc. Crappy attitudes are infectious in hospitals. Its easy to mistreat people when you've been mistreated. Let the cycle end with yourself and don't ruin someone else's day.

I could not agree more with this statement and I'm really glad things worked out for you. We were all the 'little guy' once and it's definitely a good thing when you remember where you came from as you move up the ladder. Thanks for sharing your experience.

On a side note, this reminded me of my first job when I was 16. I worked at KFC and the manager went ballistic on me one busy night. I was fed up with the low pay, crappy work, but the straw that broke the camel's back was the manager's bad attitude. I ended up taking off my shirt, throwing it in his face and saying "I quit." That experience taught me how NOT to manage and treat people who work FOR you.

Congrats on getting out katana. I know it's scary to leave your first job after only being there for a few months, and I think as PAs we kind of wonder if we're doing the right thing when we decide to get out of a bad situation. One doc told me that he knew so many surgeons who were a$$holes, and he wasn't sure if they started out that way or if the field made them like that. Either way, the outcome was the same and he decided to go into EM instead. Hope your new job works out better for you; keep us posted!

Its been a while since I posted this, but I decided to move on. Tomorrow is my last day. I already have another job lined up and will be starting in about a month once all the paperwork goes through. This experience has definitely made me more cautious about who to work for in the future. Some advice I can offer to anyone else looking for jobs... particularly new graduates... make sure you really research the position and the supervisory physician. If people have left, ask why. Ask if you can contact the PAs who left. After all, they're going to be checking your references... why shouldn't you check theirs? If they say no, then consider moving on. Don't be sucked in by a big salary, especially if you're new. And if you're a new graduate going into a surgical subspecialty, make sure you ask what formal training and evaluation will be provided. Taking call sounds exciting when you're new and can look like "easy money" because you think you're getting paid to sit at home or sleep. You're not. If its a busy service, you will get called frequently. Your quality of life will suffer, particularly if you have a family. (I took 90+ hours of call every 2 week pay period.) And stand up for yourself. Its natural to want to be a "yes man" or a team player especially when you're new. But if you feel like you're honestly being mistreated you need to step up right away. I stood toe to toe with my SP about 4 months into the job. He apologized and we talked some things over, but a week later things were bad all over again. I think I waited too long and had already set a precedent that I would take it. Follow your gut. When I was looking for jobs, I was offered an interview for a job I already knew was great. I had rotated there, knew many of the PAs, and had a good friend from school going there too. I was sucked in by this other "surgical subspecialty" job that sounded like a fantastic opportunity but had some red flags (ie, people leaving after a month or so). I decided to accept the challenge, and in the end it was a poor choice. Luckily, that great job had another opening, they were willing to interview me despite the fact that I turned them down before, and I was offered the job. My final piece of advice would be to really think twice before you explode on a nurse, tech, fellow PA, janitor, etc. Crappy attitudes are infectious in hospitals. Its easy to mistreat people when you've been mistreated. Let the cycle end with yourself and don't ruin someone else's day.

this is one of the best paragraphs for a a new grad (or anyone for that matter) to read!

Great job on handling a very hard position very well

congrats!

Exit strategy? Run for the nearest exit! Being abused ends with the pimping and ridiculous hours we go through in PA school. Once you pass the boards and earn your license you're a professional. Sure, you have lots to learn, but abuse is not a

job requirement. Don't expect him to change - they don't. I think the advice about going to HR is good. They should find you a new position in the system or lay you off so you can collect UE and get a new position.

Never work for a jerk. When you first realize they're a jerk, it's time to look for something else!

Did you ever try to take the doc out after work for a stress-free conversation?

I would never take my SP out - more appropriate they take you (an employee and subordinate) out. It puts everyone in an awkward position to switch the hierarchical roles. Plus, why reward bad behavior? Nothing's going to turn a jerk into a nice guy, not even a cheap meal or a drink!

I would never take my SP out - more appropriate they take you (an employee and subordinate) out. It puts everyone in an awkward position to switch the hierarchical roles.

It all depends on your SP of course. My SP moved furniture all day when I moved into my new house, and spent the day digging a ditch when my well failed :) We also try and schedule at least one annual meeting at Yankee Stadium!

Good for you. Glad to hear you stood your ground; some people just don't get the hint and it's probably not good practice to pop your SP in the jaw in the parking lot.

My final piece of advice would be to really think twice before you explode on a nurse, tech, fellow PA

I might add- especially as a midlevel. Surgeons tend to get away with this because they know they are relatively untouchable. Try doing this as a midlevel and the maelstrom that follows is... well...

:)

Good luck in your new job!

Guest Swennerb

Unfortunately, many doctors and surgeons are living in the "bitter barn"- they hate their own lives, and the only thing that makes them feel good about themselves is calling everyone else stupid. I've witnessed several occasions of bullying in the workplace, and the PA's are too scared to say anything for fear of being fired. I know the only reason they stick around is bc they have kids and a mortgage and they can't afford to speak up and possibly get fired. But bullying is wrong, and it will hurt your self esteem, and your confidence to be a good provider. Life is too short to be working 40 + hrs/week for someone who is angry and mean, and has no common courtesy. If you are not tied down by anything in your life, and are free to get out of that situation- by all means, just bite the bullet and get out before it's too late. There's a good reason the other PA's left.

Archived