Chem I and Organic Simultaneously?

Has anyone tried this? I took Chem I a few years ago while I was in the military but ended up not being able to complete a couple of the assignments in the end because of work - which left me with a final grade of C. I am retaking it for a higher grade and also planning to take Organic this spring so I can take Biochem this upcoming summer and be set to apply next application cycle. I know organic is supposed to be a completely different beast, so I am thinking that taking these two courses simultaneously, while challenging, will not be impossible. 

Does anyone have any advice or pointers ? I am going to try to study up on all of my Chem I before the course even starts so I can do well in the class while still having a lot of time to dedicate to Organic.

I took organic as my first prerequisite for PA school, about 34 years after I took gen chem. It was strange being back in a chem lab again (I took the labs too). One of my last prereqs was to take the first quarter of gen chem because it had been so long.

So, I guess that proves you can take organic without recently taking gen chem. I did need a waiver from the college because they had viewed gen chem as a prereq for organic.

I took biochem too, after organic. It was helpful to have had organic first -- at least more so than gen chem was for organic. 

Are you sure you need to take both Organic and Biochem?  I thought most programs want either/or not both. 

I never took Biochem and got accepted into two programs without it.

Yup. I made a spreadsheet for the schools I will be applying to. I need Org I with lab and either Org II or Biochem w/o lab for three of the schools, and another does not care about Org but wants Biochem, so it looks like I will be taking Org I and Biochem. 

Has anyone tried this? I took Chem I a few years ago while I was in the military but ended up not being able to complete a couple of the assignments in the end because of work - which left me with a final grade of C. I am retaking it for a higher grade and also planning to take Organic this spring so I can take Biochem this upcoming summer and be set to apply next application cycle. I know organic is supposed to be a completely different beast, so I am thinking that taking these two courses simultaneously, while challenging, will not be impossible. 

Does anyone have any advice or pointers ? I am going to try to study up on all of my Chem I before the course even starts so I can do well in the class while still having a lot of time to dedicate to Organic.

Nope, I've taken ochem 1 before chem 2 before though. Moreover, I have taken ochem lab 1, ochem lab 2, ochem 2, German 1, TA'ed for Integrative Neuro,, 3 credit Neuro Research, Cellular Neuro, Neuroanatomy, & Dev. Neurobio all in one semester before so anything is possible

Please, for the love of all that is holy, get the books:

Organic Chemistry As a Second Language, 3e: First Semester Topics

I tutor organic chem on a daily basis and the students who began to use the OCAASL books 3-4 weeks before the semester started are far more comfortable than those who did not. I can't say enough good things about Klein's books.

Archived