new grad rural family practice offer

hey all, I appreciate anyone's feedback on an offer I just received...

rural family practice, M-F 8-5, no call, nights or weekends, 3 year contract

salary 75k to start, with a 1000 raise each year; plus $100 bonus or $200 bonus each week if seeing 25 pt/day or 30 pt/day respectively 

qualifies for loan assistance

malpractice and medical covered

$1000 and 5 days for CME

10 days PTO, 7 holidays, 5 days paid sick time

state license covered, and although not mentioned in the contract we discussed how DEA, ACLS, BLS, and prof. organizations would be covered so I need to make sure I ask about that.

retirement contributions only after working there 5 years.

thanks!

Seems pretty low, especially for being rural, where you should be in demand.  Where is this located?  I would also be highly reluctant to commit to any contract for 3 years.  1 year maybe, but 3 is a no-go.  I would definitely push for at least 80k and raises of 3-5k per year.  

Also, I wouldn't even consider the fact that it qualifies for loan assistance when negotiating this offer.  You never know if you will actually get selected for it and even if you do, it could very well take up to a year to get that.  This should have no bearing on your offer.

Curious to see what others think?

looks good to me. consider the loan repayment as 25k extra income/yr.

I would take this job as a new grad.

"not mentioned in the contract we discussed how DEA, ACLS, BLS, and prof. organizations would be covered so I need to make sure I ask about that."

get this in writing.

chances are this deal is equivalent to well over 100k/yr if you consider loan repayment...

Agree about the length.  3 years is a long time I would probably try for 1 year unless it was a guaranteed Loan Repayment.  Any non-compete clauses or things preventing you from leaving?  Also, 25-30pt/day is quite a load... Not sure how feasible that is, especially as a new grad.  How many pt are they seeing a day now?  What is the general pt population (old, young, multiple comidities, etc)? What types of visits are they?  Are you going to be doing well woman exams and procedures such as mole removals, suturing, etc? Those will eat up your time and charting will get you behind also in the beginning at least.

The pay is a little low for rural but not too bad.  Better if you got the loan repayment.  But, the loan repayment is not a for sure thing and it is dependent on government...not sure if the shut down affects this but I would wager it does in some way.  

I would counter with 80k and a 1 year contract 2 max but make sure you see what the non-compete type of stuff is.  Make sure you get all licensing, professional orgs, etc in writing.  Also, find out if the malpractice is with claims-made with tail or if it is occurrence based. 

Good Luck.

Just a 2nd year but I would not take a rural job that is paying significantly below the national average.

75k+ bonuses and yearly raises is not significantly below the natl avg for this type of job. even without the loan repayment they will probably clear well over 80 with the bonus .

I think that is pretty low. I am a new grad going to work in rural FP that is loan repayment eligible and got offered 86K, 26 days PTO, 5 days and $3000 for CME. Also got a 20K signing bonus and $7,000 for relocation. And I don't think you can count the loan repayment because as I've seen on these forums, it's definitely not a guarantee and you shouldn't be factoring that into your salary. I've read never to take the first offer, I would ask for more.

I think that is pretty low. I am a new grad going to work in rural FP that is loan repayment eligible and got offered 86K, 26 days PTO, 5 days and $3000 for CME. Also got a 20K signing bonus and $7,000 for relocation. And I don't think you can count the loan repayment because as I've seen on these forums, it's definitely not a guarantee and you shouldn't be factoring that into your salary. I've read never to take the first offer, I would ask for more.

$20k signon and $7k for relocation.....i'd say you did damn good

woww, that's a really good deal, can i ask what state is this lol? if you don't mind, thank you

Archived