EMT course in Northern Virginia

Does anyone know where I can sign-up for an EMT course in Northern Virginia-- BESIDES THE ONE OFFERED BY NVCC (Northern Virginia Community College)?  I live in Northern VA and am trying to find a program/organization that offers EMT training in either Woodbridge, Alexandria, Fairfax, Centreville, Mannasses, Reston, Herndon, Sterling, or Chantilly (preferably NOT in DC since it would be a bit of a hike for me to get to after work).

My local CC (NVCC) offers an EMT-B certificate program, but it's expensive ($1,895), especially if I eventually want to attain an EMT-I.  I can't seem to find any other organizations besides my CC that offers EMT training!  Please assist!

Try Fairfax County Fire Department.  Some of their stations are combination stations (i.e. paid/volly).  I know in the past some of these stations have held EMT classes at a reduced cost or even free (depending on your volunteer status) but admittedly it's been 15 years or so since I've dealt with them.  It can't hurt to find a local volly station and ask.

I used "Training 911". They have classes all over Northern Virginia and seem to be cheaper than anywhere else. They don't have new classrooms or slick technology, but it was fast, I was well prepared for the exams, and I was offered a job pretty quickly after I got my cert.

I used training 911 too. It's probably the fastest way to get it done. If you go through Fairfax Co FD, you will have to wait a few months to get your other certifications done (they are free), plus a physical for which there is a waiting list. All this would take at least 3 months. However, class through FFXCO FD is free because you need to be a volunteer at any local FD to be able to sign up for it.

thank you @dls2786 and @Purplez!  I saw training 911 and have tried to call them… they're very hard to get in touch with!  I will keep trying.  I see their classes are around $875 (BIG difference from the $1,895 at NVCC)!  

@dls2786, question for you:  after you got your EMT-B, you say it wasn't too long thereafter that you were able to get a job?  what do you think my chances are for getting an ER Tech position at either iNova or GW Hospital with my EMT-B?  or would I have to do MORE?  I ask because I also have a full-time job and am trying to do my pre-reqs for school so I don't know if I can afford (time-wise as well as cost-wise) to take on additional course work for an EMT-I or Paramedic…!  

It did not take me long to find a job. Maybe I was lucky. I worked as a critical care tech in a local hospital where the EMT-B cert was required for me to care for ICU patients while they were away from the floor. I found that other units within the hospital were looking for techs to be used in a similar capacity, especially the emergency department. Look out for open tech positions in interventional radiology as well. A friend of mine was hired as a patient care assistant and discovered that mobility within the hospital was achievable, and quickly put his EMT skills to work in a new position.

thank you @dls2786 and @Purplez!  I saw training 911 and have tried to call them… they're very hard to get in touch with!  I will keep trying.  I see their classes are around $875 (BIG difference from the $1,895 at NVCC)!  

@dls2786, question for you:  after you got your EMT-B, you say it wasn't too long thereafter that you were able to get a job?  what do you think my chances are for getting an ER Tech position at either iNova or GW Hospital with my EMT-B?  or would I have to do MORE?  I ask because I also have a full-time job and am trying to do my pre-reqs for school so I don't know if I can afford (time-wise as well as cost-wise) to take on additional course work for an EMT-I or Paramedic…!  

Thank you @dls2786!  I will probably start my EMT-B coursework in January 2014.  If I am able to use some of my GI Bill to pay for classes, then I'll take my EMT-B coursework at NVCC, if not then I'll go with Training 911… it's just that I have tried to email them three times and have called and left two messages, but to no avail! I just want to know their schedule for the Fairfax area location...

Archived