Student Seeking Redemption (Low GPA) Willing To Do Whatever It Takes

My advice would be to research programs which have no minimum GPA, there are some that exist, you'll just have to research them. Then I would retake many of your science classes, especially your O chems. You will probably need to take Biochem, get at least a B+ in it. If you can have a few semesters of good grades (over a 3.5 GPA) It shows the programs that you can be successful in a demanding academic environment. 

You didn't mention healthcare expereince. I think HCE could be your saving grace. If you have enough and good quality experience, It will really help you. Without at least 2,000 hrs, I don't think you'll really have a chance. My GPA wasn't great either, but my healthcare experience and a good recent GPA really helped me a lot.

If all else fails you can apply to an accelerated nursing program which typically only look at your GPA in a few prereq classes. and then after becoming a nurse try PA school or NP school, that was my backup plan if I didn't get in after a few years applying. 

Overall, My advice is it is possible fore you to be a PA or NP, but it will take a lot of patience and a freaking lot of hard work! So good luck!

Some school do a GPA recalculation of courses that you repeated.  I know Western University is one of them.  Some school will look at your last 30 or 60 classes to see if there is an upward trend in GPA.  Franklin Pierce does this.  If you want it keep working at it.  That is where I am at not repeating courses I did not do well in. 

What it's going to take on your part is several years of taking science classes full time to 1) pull up the science GPA average 2) show a consistent positive trend that the past is behind you. My overall undergrad from 1976-1980 was 2.65, I had to spend 2 years full time including summers 25 years later to bring that up to a 3.1 with a 3.7 science GPA to convince one school to take me on out of the 5 I applied to when I went through the process in 2005....

I know this is a difficult situation for you, but it is good to see that you are realistic and doing research into your options. PA schools are getting more and more competitive. In fact, current acceptance rates in most cases are lower than medical school. In your case I feel it will take a herculean feat and a great deal of hard work to become a competitive applicant. A relevant science-related graduate program could help (as well as good healthcare experience), but be sure that it could also serve you in a career should you not do the PA school thing. Think of the additional costs of that education as well.

I know a couple guys who were in similar situations. They worked to retake some classes and such. Unfortunately, a couple years of applying to PA schools came and went with nary an interview... and a lot of wasted money. They ended up in nursing programs - but this really isn't a bad route at all.

Nurses can have fulfilling careers in patient care, management, research, etc. They have good upward mobility and can branch out into different nursing "specialities" as long as they are willing to get additional education/training beyond their BSN.

There are several things you can do, some of them you've already listed. A PA adcom told me that instead of retaking the same course, it is much more beneficial to take a higher level course for the same subject. In your case, I think a graduate degree would make a lot of difference to adcoms, just be sure to focus on doing well. Make sure you are well-rounded with HCE, Volunteering, Shadowing, and have a good idea of who PAs are and how hard PA school really is. Good luck with your endeavors. 

Swollcat, first off it's nice to find a fellow Triton :)

If I were you I would re-take classes at a CC rather than at UCSD. I did this after I graduated, not really to raise my GPA but because I was still missing some prereq classes. The CCs around San Diego are all on the semester system, meaning those units are going to be worth more than quarter units when it comes down to calculating GPA. I don't think it really matters where you take the classes at, the important thing is raising your GPA and showing that you have become a better student. Like what was mentioned before even though CASPA averages grades, some programs do replace a lower grade for a higher grade earned in the equivalent course which you might want to look into. I've also talked to programs that acknowledge that some universities are more rigorous than others and take that into account when looking at grades. It's going to be a long and rough process but with enough effort and a quality chunk of HCE it is doable. Good luck! 

It seems like you have already attempted some higher science classes. but I think at this point you should continue to focus on taking higher level science classes and doing well in them, save yourself some money and take classes at a community college, or take some online classes if you work. I wouldn't retake any classes you listed as AP earned unless the it is listed in a program's prereq. A lot of schools want psychology now though so that would be beneficial to take.

Archived