Do you think this will be accepted for Prereq?

I tried to e-mail the school and ask if these classes would be acceptable but they just said look at our website! So I'm going to ask for everyone's opinion. The website asks for a semester of Biochem, MicroBio, and Genetics and here are the course descriptions at the community college I'm going to for Anatomy right now:

BIO256 General Genetics (Sp, 4 cr)Explores the principles of genetics ranging from classical Mendelian inheritance to the most recent advances in the biochemical nature and function of the gene. Includes experimental design and statistical analysis.

BIO 150 Introductory Microbiology (F, Sp, 4 cr)
Studies the general characteristics of microorganisms. Emphasizes their relationships to individual and community health.

CHM 260 Introductory Biochemistry (Sp, 3 cr)
Explores fundamentals of biological chemistry including study of macromolecules, metabolic pathways and biochemical genetics.

I got a little thrown off if it will be accepted just because of the "INTRO" in front of two of the classes but let me know what you think. OR if you have suggestions of what I should do.

Thanks

Sabina

I would say yes to the later two definitely. The genetics I would say probably. The description seems to cover what was, however I do not know. Most genetics classes I see are atleast 300level but every institution is different. My genetics was Bio 403 Genetic and evolutionary Biology. It was accepted by Drexel's genetic requirement. I think Drexel wanted to see a focus on gene interaction which is what I see on your description. I'll search my course description and send it to you in a pm so you can compare

The school I'm applying to accepts classes from community colleges, which normally don't have 300 and 400 level courses. So I'm thinking I'm safe to assume that even though it's not a 400 level it will be accepted? I wish the advisor wouldn't have been so vague with me. But on the same hand, if it was very obviously not a course accepted, I would like to think she would have just said "No it won't work." I just really didn't want to waste money, you know? But so far I'm getting the feeling that the consensus I that this will work?

The word intro doesn't matter, it's that colleges discretion to what they label the class is. The importance is what it covers. At university of Delaware there's a course called introductory biochemistry and it is a 500 level course. My micro was intro micro and it was 300 level. I would think that they would like to see genetics at a 300 level or higher because in most colleges it is an upper level course. Nut at the same time it's variable. I'm sure you will be fine don't stress too much just get the A's

• Administrator

I took a 100-level "Intro to Organic and Biochemistry" which was an ADN prerequisite at my local CC.  It didn't count, but it was GREAT prep for the UNE online OChem I that I ended up taking to meet the OChem requirement, and I know I would not have done as well in it had I not had that intro course.  Since it still averaged into my science and BCP GPA as a 4.0, I wasn't sad about taking it.

What exactly does the school have listed as required courses? (any further description than course name)

The majority of schools require courses that are science major courses rather than nursing courses... so Genetics is often a sophomore course (200 level) and bioochem is usually a 300 level. Your gen bio and gen chem classes are pretty much always going to be 100 level, but make sure they are for science majors and not health or education courses.

Really, if there is any question, the school is the only one that can give you a straight answer.

@loliz- No, no further description other than class name and one semester. I went ahead and tried to ask the more specific question to the admissions lady on if the intro or level or the course matters. I'll wait and see if I get any response. Can't believe they have been so vague with me. I'll keep on rolling with my classes and hope for the best. I'm thinking maybe I'll take the biochem somewhere else if all else fails. Sounds like the microbio and genetics will probably be ok.

This is the reply that I got from the school: What is everyone's opinion on it?

"Yes, the courses will be accepted as prerequisites.  The admissions committee does take into account the rigor of an applicant’s academic career.  In addition, although taking the classes with the ‘right’ course titles and content is all that required, your goal is to be as prepared as possible for PA school, not just “get in”. 

I already have a BS and I am a sonographer (ultrasound technologist). I have been working in this field for 8 years. I started out premed but dropped it my sophomore year because my dad passed suddenly. So I have taken Organic chemistry and Calculus in the past as well as I am now re taking A&P to make sure I am in the 7 year deadline and the other courses that are required. What would you guys do?

Archived