Questions about Interviews

I've had two interviews so far, and I noticed that most of the females have worn blazers. I wore black dress pants with a nice black and white top from Loft and a black cardigan. Is that ok to wear? I've been looking everywhere for a nice blazer/suit jacket to fit me, but I can't find any. I'm really tiny plus flat-chested, so they never fit right and usually puff out/gap awkwardly in the chest area.

I also noticed a lot of people had leather portfolios with them. It was like I didn't get the memo...haha. Do they just keep their resumes in there just in case? I brought copies of my resume, but no one asked for it. Do they typically ask for that?

Thanks!

I have only been to two interviews too, but I will share my experiences! I would wear a blazer if I were you..At my interviews every female but 1 was wearing one.  I am really small too though, so I feel your pain! It has taken me forever to find professional clothes that fit well and aren't too expensive. As for the portfolios, I don't really think they're necessary.  I have never brought one, and have just seen a few people with them.  Ad coms should have all your information, so I wouldn't think they would ask for that.

I have only been to two interviews too, but I will share my experiences! I would wear a blazer if I were you..At my interviews every female but 1 was wearing one.  I am really small too though, so I feel your pain! It has taken me forever to find professional clothes that fit well and aren't too expensive. As for the portfolios, I don't really think they're necessary.  I have never brought one, and have just seen a few people with them.  Ad coms should have all your information, so I wouldn't think they would ask for that.

Ok thanks! Ahh...I hope it wasn't bad that I didn't wear one. I have another interview in a few days, so hopefully I will be able to find a blazer before then.

I agree with knic. Skirt suit or pant suit all the way. I've found some great ones in the petite's section at Macy's and Ann Taylor. Albeit they were not cheap, they were so worth it and a great investment for the future. Good luck!

Thanks..I already checked Macy's. The petite ones were huge on me still. And I don't have an Ann Taylor near me. :(

Thanks..I already checked Macy's. The petite ones were huge on me still. And I don't have an Ann Taylor near me. :(

In that case, try the Junior's section at Macy's. They also have some cute ones. You wouldn't expect there to be suits there but they are less expensive and run smaller. Sometimes the material isn't the best but still look very professional.

I agree with knic. Skirt suit or pant suit all the way. I've found some great ones in the petite's section at Macy's and Ann Taylor. Albeit they were not cheap, they were so worth it and a great investment for the future. Good luck!

I found one that fits me perfectly at Macy's too. I'm also petite and it's quite difficult to find one that would fit me since a lot of stores don't hold xs. 

I've read that you don't need to bring anything extra since they should already have everything that you submitted on CASPA, unless they specifically stated for you to bring something like an official transcript for an instance. 

By the way, I am having an interview at an out-of-state program. Would you guys recommend renting a car from the airport and going by taxi? I will only be staying for about 24 hours from when I land and when I need to be back at the airport...

Try not to stress. The object is to be relaxed enough to let the committee see who you really are. One of the things that the committee is looking for is how well you perform under pressure. The best way to handle that is to stay calm inside. 

Especially if you have applied to multiple schools, realize that no one performance is going to sink you. Stay loose! I suggest that you dress like you would for a job interview or to meet your date's parents.

And good luck!

i have only been on one interview but i would definitely suggest wearing a blazer or skirt/pant suit. and no cleavage :/ one girl at my first interview was showing cleavage and i couldn't believe it. i bought my pant suit from express. they are expensive but form fitting which i love. i believe they have petite sizes.

i do not think that leather portfolios are at all necessary. i brought my purse which has a should stap and is professional looking (black leather one from Coach). i needed it for my cell phone, water bottle, car keys, etc.

hope this helps!

I think you would have been fine at most places if you got over the nerves about how you were dressed compared to the other applicants.

That said, a sweater vs jacket (for women) is part of the difference between business and business casual dress. Pants vs skirt is another part of it. If you're going to wear a sweater (business casual) you might be more comfortable with your level of dressiness if you pair it with a professional-looking dark skirt, hose, and low heels (business).

I say this as someone who works in a place where conservative, ultra-professional dress is expected of every employee with patient contact. I wish I was less familiar with these nuances, honestly. I repeat though, that what you described sounds fine and you are clearly already aware that it makes you look dressed down compared to the other applicants. It shouldn't cost you a seat at a program.

As for the portfolios... I honestly think carrying one looks silly unless you have something truly meaningful for the day inside it. Otherwise you are just adding something else to carry, and if you never pull a paper out of it what's the point? Pulling your resume out of a manilla envelope or folder keeps the thing just as flat and nice.

I think you would have been fine at most places if you got over the nerves about how you were dressed compared to the other applicants.

That said, a sweater vs jacket (for women) is part of the difference between business and business casual dress. Pants vs skirt is another part of it. If you're going to wear a sweater (business casual) you might be more comfortable with your level of dressiness if you pair it with a professional-looking dark skirt, hose, and low heels (business).

I say this as someone who works in a place where conservative, ultra-professional dress is expected of every employee with patient contact. I wish I was less familiar with these nuances, honestly. I repeat though, that what you described sounds fine and you are clearly already aware that it makes you look dressed down compared to the other applicants. It shouldn't cost you a seat at a program.

As for the portfolios... I honestly think carrying one looks silly unless you have something truly meaningful for the day inside it. Otherwise you are just adding something else to carry, and if you never pull a paper out of it what's the point? Pulling your resume out of a manilla envelope or folder keeps the thing just as flat and nice.

Thanks! I actually just found a conservative black dress and gray blazer today for my next interviews. I wish I had them before for my previous interviews. :(

Archived