Black mass on chest CT? Cancer?

My niece got a chest CT to check up on a bone deformity (pectus excavatum) and the GP/my sister are super worried because they found a black mass. What are the possibilities? GP won't answer questions and is referring to cardio

I'm just a pre-pa so don't mock me for knowing nothing. Thanks so much in advance.

was the ct contrast or non-contrast? to differentiate masses on a ct one must consider several variables in which contrast is very helpful. ultrasound can also be used in most cases because it differentiates solid from cystic. on good way is to have a system of reading. for example: start with proper technique, is there any artifacts, consider mass effect, cystic or solid, congenital malformation, infection, foreign body, normal variation, fluid such as blood/serous fluid, also take into account clinical presentation and hpi

No contrast.

She had her Pectus(sternum deformity where it caved in severely) surgically corrected 7 yrs ago. Hardware from that is out. Stupid question but since the hardware came out do you think scar tissue could've filled in the gaps where the hardware was too much? Basically could it just be an overgrowth of scar tissue?

Was there a CBC done? Any sx? Night sweats, weight loss, fatigue, palpable nodes? If all those were normal, negative and plus you have a hx of a congenital anatomic abnormality, my suspicion of cancer would be pretty low. Maybe that is why your GP is referring to cardiology instead of heme/onc.

Agree with above.

On ct scan "black" equals air.

Growths have density, which range on ct from dark gray to white.( fluid to tissue to bone)

Someone is trying to use common MIs-language to discribe things.

Ventana's advice is the best you'll get here.. Look no further than that.

RCDAVIS beat me to it. Black equals air. Depending on the location, this could be a variety of things. Ventana is right as well - f/u with the GP and have a heart-to-heart.

black can also equal necrosis, such as within a tumor, to discuss an image without seeing it is silly, but one can describe how to interpret images

I have to second the idea of it being a bad idea to solicit opinions here. People don't know the history, can't see the images and will offer nothing more than speculation based on the limited info provided by the OP.

To the OP: Wait until you can sit with the physicians involved and get their concerns and interpretations straight from them.

Hope all turns out well.

Archived