Statistics and genetics course requirements

Hi everyone, I tried searching for this in older forums, but didn't have much luck! (It's my first day on this website, so bare with me if this has been posted already)

I took a class called Applied Data Analysis (similar to what other schools call Psych stats) back in undergrad. It counted as the statistics requirement for the psych major, neuro major, sociology major at my school. I am looking at a few schools that require statistics for applying. I was wondering if anyone else has been able to use a class similar to the one I have taken to fulfill their statistics requirements? Some of the schools I'm looking at that have stat requirements are Northeastern, and Hofstra--just to name 2.

One more question--I haven't taken genetics, and now that I've graduated I'm working full time, so I don't have too much time to take it this year either. I know a lot of PA schools don't specifically ask for genetics, but highly suggest it. Do most of you suggest I find time to take genetics, or will I be alright without it? Most of the schools I'm looking at do not list genetics as a prereq and only suggest it.

Thanks so much for your help!

Hi...so I also took a stats class for my psych major. East Carolina University has approved it for me because I made an A. They said if I made less than a B they would have wanted me to take a traditional stats class. Also, Methodist University if NC accepted it. Best thing to do is to email each individual school..that's what I did.

get a description of what the class covers and send it to the schools you are interested in.

I did this for a math course that they originally contested but when they saw what it covered in the description from the course catalog and my grade ( an A) I got full credit for it.

As far as suggested courses are concerned, if you have the majority of them I wouldn't worry about not having Genetics.. for example if they suggest having taken 5 additional classes and you have all but genetics, I wouldn't stress. However if you don't have a lot of the additional suggested courses, I feel like genetics would be a good idea!

Email the school in question with a copy of the syllabus and course description. They should be able to tell you if the course will be sufficient. In most cases they will send you some paperwork that says that the course is an appropriate substitute and they will keep a copy in your file.

I had a similar issue, I took ECON 225 business stat. I was worried schools wouldnt accept it. I called caspa because they didnt label it as math since it was labled ECON at WVU. Once I sent CASPA the course description they switched it into the math category and it factored into my MATH gpa. I already have interviews at schools which require stats so they all accepted it. As long as the course covers: chi square, mean, median, mode, st dev, normal distribution, differential, probability etc etc. You should be fine. But always play it safe and contact the schools first.

Archived