Organic Chemistry/Biochemistry Dilemma

It looks like I will be starting PA school in January rather than May like I orginally had planned or thought I would start. I was going to take ochem this fall and then biochem in the spring since ochem is a pre-req to enroll in biochem. Should I still plan on taking ochem this fall before I start in January? I contacted the professor who is teaching biochem this fall asking if I could enroll in the class or at least audit the class but he is not letting that happen. Thanks.

One of the advantages of going to pa school is the ability to complete it without ever taking ochem/biochem.

that was part of my decision tree back in the day. if I had to take them for pa school I probably would have applied md/do.

there is no ochem/biochem on pance or panre. all the biochem you need for pharm they will teach you during the course.

I found biochem helpful but not all that difficult. ochem was another story. If it was me, I might go ahead and take the first quarter of ochem and then read some of the biochem book on your own. The big thing you'll learn is the different types of molecules (proteins, lipids, structures of DNA and RNA, etc) and that will make a little more sense after the ochem class.

Good luck!

Archived