Dodgers will win the World Series ... time to watch it at PA school ()?

Tough one. If you finished 3rd year then you passed step 1. Problems with passing step 2? Step 2 PE? Problems on clinical rotations? If any of these I would be concerned about your ability to integrate and take care of patients and PA school may still be a struggle if you haven't fixed these deficits.

PANCE is much more like Step 2 than step 1. (Disclaimer: haven't yet taken step 2 but scheduled next month.)

Granted I am making some assumptions here.

If you had health problems or personal problems that prevented you from finishing med school then you may have a good chance at PA school if those problems have been addressed and are no longer active issues.

We really need more background info to adequately answer this question though.

I don't envy you the debt.

Best wishes.

PA education is very similar to MD education. In fact programs attached to a medical school have the pa and md students attend many of the same courses. As for rotations, what you described in your MD program is also expected in most PA programs.

How will things change if you attend a PA program? I'd think hard about this.

Realize most PA programs cram 120 SH of graduate studies into 27 or 28 months. To put this into perspective, A masters and then doctorate can be done in less SH and with a much slower pace. PA education is not easy. That's a myth.

Also the PA concept was modeled after a WW2 MD model where the MD school lasted 3 academic years, providing backfill for physicians that were deployed. graduates are expected to perform diagnostic medical care.

I bring this up only to provide insight and reflection on what you seek as an alternative. It's not that different. Just condensed, shorter, and without a residency.

Good luck in your journey.

I agree that the extra requirements you mention in addition to learning how to provide patient care are also present in PA school. As someone who attended PA school 15 years ago and now in my final year of med school, I am amazed that I haven't written a single paper in med school and have only written and given 2 presentations. These were frequent in my PA program.

Time management is key. You must learn what you can give up to succeed in either of these paths. For instance, I don't watch TV. It's amazing how many hours people fritter away in front of the television.

Hopefully your time in the military has taught you better organization skills. You have to be able to juggle multiple responsibilities simultaneously to function as a PA or a physician.

Good luck.

31? If I was 31, or even 35, I would consider myself young enough to go to med school. You obviously had a passion of med school and not PA as you were in med school. Go back and finish what you started. This isn't the easy way out. This isn't the next best thing. This is a professional model that requires a person to understand the role it was intended to be. This isn't for med school dropouts. So go back and finish what you started.

Knowing how Army PA's work very well, I would say that you're better off going to PA school or enjoy life as a MSC officer. Our MSC officer eventually became the S2 and to this day enjoys that position.

I would not enter PA school as some "alternate" to primary care having not cut it in med school.

PA school is very difficult. You have to work on several assignments, papers, and have 1-2 exams every week during didactic year. For clinical year you are on rotations all day long and then you have to come home and not only prepare for tomorrow, but you also need to prepare for your end of rotations exams. Add to that projects you have to do for your school. You sure you can do it?

sounds to me your interest is rooted in an alternative to MD rather than a true want to be a PA. That should not be the case... ever.

This is a bit dramatic... many people enjoy patient care and the science of medicine and are less concerned about the letters after their name.

This is a bit dramatic... many people enjoy patient care and the science of medicine and are less concerned about the letters after their name.

Yeap that is the main reason I am considering PA schools. I enjoy direct patient care and utilizing my medical knowledge. Yeah, I do some of these as a MSC officer, but it is more administrative. It is a healtcare job but just too different than what I want to do

I wish I had seen this earlier. I just created a thread about being a former PA student who is now considering re-applying. I did not withdraw due to grades but due to medical illness. It's now been over ten years since I left and I am considering starting over. The admissions process now look even more brutal than the first time around. Like you, I'm looking for a fresh start but question the negative impact my withdrawal will have on an admissions committee.

• 8 months later...

Archived