Anatomy & Physiology pre-req

I took Human Anatomy w/lab at one community college and Human Physiology w/lab at another community college.

I just received an email from Western Univ (CA) that I have to take those classes in one school because its a combined course. Therefore, I have to retake anatomy or physio again.

Did anyone have this problem with other schools that they applied to? I am not sure what to do. I dont want to retake the class just for one school and not even be guaranteed an interview. However, Western is one of my top choices.

I thought since the class I took wasnt Anatomy&Physio together, it is ok to take it in different class.

BTW, both of these separate class I took are approved by the school.

And, I am starting work full time next week, working full night shift, so going to school will be very difficut. Should I just withdraw my application or take the class?? Any advice??

When I took prereqs, we had a choice of taking A&P together or as separate courses. The PA programs I applied to wanted the separate courses -- which I took in community college -- because they were more in depth.

I'm not sure why Western wants you to take the combined course and rules out what you have already done. It might be because the classes you took were somehow isolated sessions of a combined course. Before you do anything, I suggest a phone call to Western.

I had some issues with anatomy and physiology because I attended an undergraduate university that offered the following classes: physiology (lecture and lab 5 cr), anatomy (lecture only 3cr) and anatomy lab (lab only 2 cr). I sat on a waiting list for the anatomy lab all 4 years I was there and never got in. I emailed every school that I applied to to make sure that my classes would suffice and ended up taking an online anatomy lab (2 cr through West Virginia University) and A&PI (5 credits through a CC) in order to meet the requirements of all of my schools. It was a huge pain but also a wonderful review before PA school. I work full time as well so I know where you're coming from!

Anyways- if you are worried I would quickly call or email the programs you applied to and confirm that your courses suffice. Just make sure that you review the admissions website for the programs beforehand and make sure your question can't be answered there first.

Good news!! I just got an email from Western and they cleared the pre-req. Apparently they reviewed the catalog and found that the courses are not combined. So they went forward and processed my application. If anyone has the same problem, make sure you talked to them directly!!!

So glad I dont have to take the class over again!!!!

Good news!! I just got an email from Western and they cleared the pre-req. Apparently they reviewed the catalog and found that the courses are not combined. So they went forward and processed my application. If anyone has the same problem, make sure you talked to them directly!!!

So glad I dont have to take the class over again!!!!

Ok, whew! Good news! Thanks for letting us know!

Archived