PA Admissions Advice

Hey guys. I posted this on student doc but I was directed here as well. I would like some advice, as I am just switching my career to physician assisting now that I'm graduating with my bachelors.

However, I'm in a little bit of a debacle, and I would like some advice.

I would like some advice, as I am just switching my career to physician assisting now that I'm graduating with my bachelors.

you need to find a medical assisant school to get trained so that you can assist a physician, nursing is also an option

I would like some advice, as I am just switching my career to physician assisting now that I'm graduating with my bachelors.

as a PA I really don't ever assist a physician! bad name....

I do however practice medicine and manage all my patients.....

if you want to assist a doc should look at other fields

if you want an amazing career become a PA

This shouldn't be much of a concern. Having a W for academic reasons might be a concern, but I can't imagine anyone looking at a medical drop negatively, especially since you got a high grade in the subsequent class. As long as you explain the W's and keep the "redo" grade high, this shouldn't cause any problems.

IIRC, there is a section on the CASPA to explain such things. Furthermore, I'd consider contacting the schools directly to see if you could send them documentation of the medical drop. A note from the doctor who treated you or something from the school showing that it was a drop for medical reasons might suffice.

As you have decided to switch your career to physician assisting, try to search for the medical assistant school and skill yourself with the training provide there. I think getting training from the best medical assisting school can induce professionalism in your career.

As long as you can provide a rational, well-documented explanation for what exactly happened this should not be a deal-breaker. Most programs will have concerns with students who are weak in A&P. You might do well to back up your explanation with a letter of recommendation from your instructor in anatomy and/or physio commenting upon your performance.

PA programs are not looking for "perfect" applicants - they are looking for students who will excel in the curriculum and move the profession forward.

Archived