Past Hx of Substance Abuse

I have a disease. I am an addict who is in recovery. Please save any judgement as I've heard it all, and I still hold guilt and shame for my prior actions.

Before I get to my real question, let me give a little background. I have a been a nurse for a few years with most of my experience in a critical care unit. Long story short, I became addicted to dilaudid and subsequently admitted that I had a problem, and was suspended from work. After this disclosure, I entered into a confidential program called HAVEN which requires drug testing once per week, regular attendance of support meetings, and I see a therapist weekly. I went to a outpatient intensive care rehabilitation program for professionals. In addition a 6 month narcotic restriction was set in place. This agreement with HAVEN lasts 5 years. There is nothing against my license and there was no arrest.

I now want to further my education and go to PA school. I have very good grades, great experience and everything else that should make me a shoe-in for most PA programs, but with my past history is it even worth applying?

Though I can't speak on behalf of any program or admission board keep in mind:

-Everyone screws up at some point

-Nobody is perfect

-You are not the first, nor will you be the last to have gone through this exact dilemma

I think the biggest variable is whether or not this resulted in an arrest or felony conviction of any kind. Though admissions is highly competitive and this will certainly be an obstacle to overcome, I'd like to think that of all the programs out there, someone would be willing to give you a second chance. I wish you the best of luck with everything. Keep your head up

Is there some reason ADCOMs would know about this? i.e. is it attached to your RN license. If so, you will need to address it head on in your personal statement. Don't drag it out but you need to explain what went wrong and how you've made it better. Keep up the hard work and good luck to you.

Here is the problem

1. Will it change your eligibility for rotation sites (most require a criminal background check which is also required by many programs before matriculation). The PROGRAM must determine this when considering your application.

2. Will it prevent licensure. YOU (not the program) will need to know its impact on any state you might want to practice.

Those are the biggest issues. What happens if you get in, pass the PANCE, and then can't work?

Been a while since I've read CASPA, but it would depend on the wording. I know some about the program, to the extent that you voluntarily came forward, so no action is taken against your license. So, if it ask if your license was suspended, I would say no. You have always had an unrestricted license and were never under the review of the BON. However, you may need to disclose the suspension by your employer in another section. Maybe you could ask your employer if they considered it a "sabbatical" or a true punitive suspension. Not sure what to tell you since the purpose of your program is so that you come forth voluntarily without fear of future repercussions, but you don't want to seem dishonest. If you can get into a program, I don't see this as having any effect on future licensure or clinicals, as those are only concerned with past professional licenses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Do you ever venture over to student doctor network? Someone linked to a story from OHSU about a recovering heroin addict being accepted to their medical school and it gave some background on her story. I would call your state licensing board and ask some questions. I would imagine they could give you more info than anyone else. Congratulations on your recovery.

I also know someone who got into a medical program with a DUI.

It does come up multiple times (on applying, once accepted, and before rotations) where you fill something out about if you have ever been suspended. As others said you need to make sure it wouldn't prevent you from going on rotations (call programs and ask) or from getting licensed. Disclosing it is obviously the ethically right thing to do, however outside of that I do not know how/if schools could find out, and if programs would consider that strongly against you if you were open about it.

Archived