necessary to do U/S or CT before discontinuing tx for someone with PE?

Without directly answering the question, may I suggest a review of the indications for, and proposed length of treatment of DVDs.

Particularly review what a DVT is, its pathogenicity is, and the purpose of anticoagulation, whether that ge heparin, Coumadin, lmwh or factor Xa inhibitor.. What is the purpose of treatment?

What else should be being done while treatment is being started?

What is the basic rational of treatment?

How long do we treat? Why that long?

What happens to The clot?

Therein lays the answer to your preceptor's probing question.. Which is a great one designed to help you understand DVT and the issue of hypercoagulabilty more completely

Good hunting!

Without directly answering the question, may I suggest a review of the indications for, and proposed length of treatment of DVDs.

Particularly review what a DVT is, its pathogenicity is, and the purpose of anticoagulation, whether that ge heparin, Coumadin, lmwh or factor Xa inhibitor.. What is the purpose of treatment?

What else should be being done while treatment is being started?

What is the basic rational of treatment?

How long do we treat? Why that long?

What happens to The clot?

Therein lays the answer to your preceptor's probing question.. Which is a great one designed to help you understand DVT and the issue of hypercoagulabilty more completely

Good hunting!

so after spending some time reading up on PE, mainstay tx is usually LMWH in the hospital and then add warfarin with INR levels between 2.0-3.0. usually patients who have had previous DVTS/PEs would stay on warfarin for life. patients who had their first dvt/pe would be on 3-6 months. so how would we know when to discontinue the patient off warfarin? my answer: we would measure d-dimer again to see if it's elevated, if it's elevated, continue warfarin and measure using leg u/s and/or ct. it's not elevated, we can discontinue warfarin, thus we would not need to do an u/s or ct scan again. is this correct?

Do you think there is or should be a difference between the approach to a stasis clot ( trauma, immobilization), and an innate hypercoagulable state clot ( malignancy, protein c, etc)?

anyone who says you aren't ready to teach is just wrong. I don't care what your degree is. Talk to my friend Knappy. maybe he can set you on the path to getting credentialed as an instructor for his program.

anyone who says you aren't ready to teach is just wrong. I don't care what your degree is. Talk to my friend Knappy. maybe he can set you on the path to getting credentialed as an instructor for his program.

I know he was teaching from his past military days. We ex-NCOs were constantly teaching. And I would let him teach me anytime!

I learn the most (emergency med wise, anyways) from the two of you! And it reminds me that I still have a long way to go to ever match the amount of knowledge that you guys have! You guys are great role models for us youngin' PAs!

And great way at leading the OP to the answer without just handing it to him/her. I'm sure this is something that will stick with them for their career now!

Not to hijack the thread but as long as there are no reversal agents for the new-fangled, devastating-head bleed-causing anticoagulants, I see no end to the LMWH and Coumadin usage... also, one of the replies above indicated using d-dimer as a marker for therapy discontinuation...what other conditions might a patient have that can elevate d-dimer in the absence of DVT/PE?

Not to hijack the thread but as long as there are no reversal agents for the new-fangled, devastating-head bleed-causing anticoagulants, I see no end to the LMWH and Coumadin usage... also, one of the replies above indicated using d-dimer as a marker for therapy discontinuation...what other conditions might a patient have that can elevate d-dimer in the absence of DVT/PE?

also d-dimer can be low in the presence of a large clot which has been present for an extended period of time so it really is only helpful initially in the natural course of a dvt or PE. we had a great case a few years ago of a guy with 2 weeks of chest pain with large b/l PEs and a nl d-dimer because of this phenomenon.

he actually went through a full acs workup with 2 sets of enzymes, passed a standard treadmill, etc and his only finding picked up by an astute clinician was a persistent tachycardia even when asleep( like 105 or something).

Archived