Shoul I even bother???

Okay heres the deal...I'm 32 and college in my youth was a HOT MESS. I'm talking 2.0 GPA (community college). I actually had to take a few extra classes just to get up to the 2.0 needed to graduate because even though I completed my degree I didn't meet GPA req. Anyways, I completed my AA but never my BA. I took some time off from college (7 years) to go to nursing school. I am 3 months from finishing and have a solid 4.0 however I attended a private school so I'm not sure a PA program would even consider transcripts from this school. Just finished knocking out my sciences and have solid A's in all those classes so 4.0 GPA in sciences.

After I complete nursing school (LVN) in 3 months I plan on heading straight to a Cal State school and knocking out my BA (about 10 classes left). My degree that I will be completing will be in Public relations. Don't really want to switch to a science majob simply because I have most of the lower division classes done due to my AA so I only have a few upper division classes left.

My question is, with my MAJOR screw up at CC college does it even matter at this point what GPA I pull through with on my BA...did I screw myself up that bad. The only school I can attended is RCC (due to personal reasons) so I am limited there. My plan is to apply every year for the next 3-4 years until I get in but short of getting A's in all the rest of my BA classes I'm not sure what else I can do.

If I don't get in in the next 2 year I will complete the LVN-RN bride program then reapply to RCC. In all honesty I really don't want to be a nurse but I figure its a nice backup plan in case I cant ever do PA school.

Can I get some feed back on what I should do to set myself in the right direction.

AA GPA 2.0

Science GPA 4.0

Pt Care Hours (2000) as a CNA. I am also a Phlebotomist and LVN

LVN GPA (Private school) 4.0

Enrolling in BA program (communications)....pretty sure I can manage at least a 3.5

My nursing school is accredited by Board of Vocational Nursing and Psychiatric Technicians (BVNPT) however it is not accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC). Does that matter. My sciences classes are accredited by WASC and I have A's in all of my science classes.

If I go on to complete my BA will they only count the GPA from my BA program and NOT my AA program even though some of my AA classes were used to transfer and complete my BA. If they wont look at the AA GPA then I'm golden since I know I can skate through my BA with a 3.5 or higher. My AA GPA was really low because I was an aeronautics major....yeah BIG mistake..failed about 9 classes before I finally got smart and changed my major.

My nursing school is accredited by Board of Vocational Nursing and Psychiatric Technicians (BVNPT) however it is not accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC). Does that matter. My sciences classes are accredited by WASC and I have A's in all of my science classes.

If I go on to complete my BA will they only count the GPA from my BA program and NOT my AA program even though some of my AA classes were used to transfer and complete my BA. If they wont look at the AA GPA then I'm golden since I know I can skate through my BA with a 3.5 or higher. My AA GPA was really low because I was an aeronautics major....yeah BIG mistake..failed about 9 classes before I finally got smart and changed my major.

Everything will be counted and you have to send everything. Failure to send a transcript to CASPA never ends well for the applicant. Your LVN program might be considered "professional" but it will be included in your GPA.

• Administrator

CASPA ended up counting my grades from a Bible college (read: not regionally accredited) that no longer existed by the time I applied to PA school. Of course, they were all humanities credits so only counted for my overall GPA, and were neither exceptionally bad nor good, so I don't expect they paid much attention to them.

Good news is that RCC does not use CASPA and only looks at your BCP GPA. Your A&P GPA needs to be a 2.7 or 2.5 I forgot which but you can look it up on the website.

If you really really really want to get into RCC.. Take your classes at RCC, move within the RCC school district, gain 2,000 hours of paid direct patient contact HCE, and make sure you fill out the application EXACTLY as instructed to do.

Keep in mind that RCCs program (from what I've heard) will be transferring over to UCR I believe in 2016. You may want to verify that though.

My advice is to ask an RCC student how applicants are selected. To my knowledge students are selected by tiers based on proximity to RCC, then if they've taken at least 3 units at RCC, then by HCE totals, then by GPA, and throw in some lottery seats in there and then how well you can fill out the application as instructed.

Best of luck!

You sound like you are more than 10 years out from your community college debacle. And you know where you want to go. That being true, then you are a different person with a solid story of how you've matured. Why not schedule a visit and talk to someone at the school you are interested in?

@Timon yeah, I completed all my sciences with an A (I went to ISP in WHittier) so I'm good there. What is a BCS GPA?

I have an aunt who lives 2 miles from the school so i will be "living with her" when I apply. I also plan to take a few online classes at rcc starting in the fall. I'm thinking medical term since I already took it in my nursing program but since it was a private school it wont transfer...Either way, it should be an easy A for me.

So are you saying they only consider science gpa? Other GPA plays no factor? If thats the case maybe I should just apply next term and put the BA on the back burner....If I don't get in then I will then work on my BA and just keep applying every year.

@Timon yeah, I completed all my sciences with an A (I went to ISP in WHittier) so I'm good there. What is a BCS GPA?

I have an aunt who lives 2 miles from the school so i will be "living with her" when I apply. I also plan to take a few online classes at rcc starting in the fall. I'm thinking medical term since I already took it in my nursing program but since it was a private school it wont transfer...Either way, it should be an easy A for me.

So are you saying they only consider science gpa? Other GPA plays no factor? If thats the case maybe I should just apply next term and put the BA on the back burner....If I don't get in then I will then work on my BA and just keep applying every year.

i did my prerequisites at ISP too. A few people that went to ISP with me are students at RCC currently. From what I was told they really only look at your A&P, Microbiology and Physics grades.

My advice would be to start gaining your HCE and build it to 2,000 as fast as possible and once that's achieved begin applying to RCC. As you continue your attempts at getting into RCC work towards your BA or BS and it doesn't matter what you get your degree in, just make sure you perform well (shoot for a 4.0 to prove to adcoms you've changed yourself and have grown).

I did poorly in undergrad and CASPA calculated my GPA at a 2.31. After getting a masters and then changing careers and taking the science prerequisites I eventually raised my GPA to a 2.93 and that positive grade trending overshadowed my previous academic history.

So don't give up. Just try and formulate a strategy that (1) allows you to apply the fastest to any program and (2) allows you to continue to improve your application each year. After all said and done you'll get to where you want to go.

Best of luck!

My nursing school is accredited by Board of Vocational Nursing and Psychiatric Technicians (BVNPT) however it is not accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC). Does that matter.

Yes, for the credits to count they need to be from a WASC (ACCJC) institution http://www.accjc.org/ or another major regionally accrediting body. BVNPT unfortunately doesn't count.

My sciences classes are accredited by WASC and I have A's in all of my science classes.

If the instituion where you took those classes is WASC/ACCJC accredited, then MVC should be able to take those credits.

Good luck in your future PA endeavors.

LesH

All pre-req course work needs to be from a regionally accredited organization for the majority of PA programs. They do this because they don't want people from Brown Mackie, Stevens Heneger, and other for profit crappy/expensive/waste of time/joke programs applying.

http://www2.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/accreditation_pg6.html#RegionalInstitutional

Hope this helps.

Archived