Rpa-c?

Hello. I was just wondering, what is the significance of the R "Registered" credential? I asked a PA with the R credential what it meant, but she told me that you had to take a test (not the PANCE) to get it. On Google, someone said that it just meant you're certified. However, this is completely different from what I was told. So, could anyone clarify this for me? (The state is New York by the way)

Oh, that's where I found the info before, and why I was confused.

" Physician assistants may also be authorized to practice under a one-year limited permit. The National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistant (NCCPA) Examination has been designated as the official credentialing examination for purposes of PA registration in New York State. Physician assistants maintain certification by completing 100 hours of continuing medical education every two years and taking a recertification exam every six years. The designation RPA-C stands for Registered Physician Assistant - Certified and may be used only by PAs who have successfully completed the NCCPA certifying examination and possess a valid certification.

A trained physician who is not licensed in New York State may not practice as a PA unless he or she is a graduate of an approved PA program and has fulfilled the requirements for registration as a physician assistant."

The designation RPA-C stands for Registered Physician Assistant - Certified and may be used only by PAs who have successfully completed the NCCPA certifying examination and possess a valid certification. <- Isn't that the PANCE?

The RPA-C I asked said it was another test, so I was really confused.

the short of it....

in NY you are registered no licensed.... you are an RPA-C if you take and pass the pance and are registered in NY

no extra test, just send in your app and $$$

also - just found out NY DOES NOT want any PA to own a company that employ's a Doc...... not overly PA friendly.....

but.... A pa can solo staff an er in ny state.......

yeah just does not make sense....

I want to set up a PC clinic in a small town that is (and has been for some time) without a doc..... but the NYS General Counsel has recently looked at the issues and stated VERY CLEARLY that a PA can never employ a doc..... even through a corp..... means that I am at the whim of a doc if they own the practice and I have heard to many horror stories of doc owners getting to gready to build a practice (and a good income) to have the doc take it away because they are gready. So the alternatives are set up in MASS where I can own the PC or LLC or C-Corp, or maybe create a corporation that is not owned by me (but instead my family) and use this to employ the Doc in NYS (suspect this might attract attention and end up with me invovled in a leagal issue anyways....)

Bolan%20Letter[1].pdf

NY is a little strange in that you need to be both licensed AND registered in order to practice in the state. I haven't practiced in New York in over 7 years, but when I check the state website I'm still listed as being licensed; it's simply considered inactive. In order to start practicing in NY again I would have to renew my registration, but technically I'm still licensed in the state.

Archived