Hey All You Wonderful people out there:

Could you please give me your opinion on pursuing an MBA?  What schools to consider that could help with your medical career?

Should one consider doing it later in life after working some good years as a PA?....or perhaps have your work place sponsor it for you?

Has anyone experienced or heard of any salary benefits of doing it?  And how much are we talking initially to max (how many years does it take?) (In salary compensation)?

Many thanks for all your suggestions.

I thought about an MBA but couldn't do the hours and the tuition with kids and all.

If I were to do it again now - I would get a Masters in Healthcare Admin (makes me shudder - the darkside of medicine...)

I think the Masters of HCA has more applications as a non-clinical PA.

My other contemplation was an MSW so I could do licensed counseling AND prescribe - any psychiatrist would eat that up in a heartbeat.

The universities I looked at were a wide range.

One private university in the NW was $26000 for a masters in just about anything.

An online program was about $6000 per semester.

A state university is whatever the going rate per credit is.

As a clinical PA - no masters is going to make my billing higher unless I am the counselor as described above. My pay won't go up in family practice no matter how many little letters are behind my name.

I know few PAs in admin - not sure what they make. They unfortunately work for corporate medicine and that makes me sad all the way around.

Good Luck with your pursuit!

All of your posts are about how to make the most money possible and with that in mind, you should just skip becoming a PA, go to a top 10 MBA school, then make 250K/year after a few years of experience and a couple job changes.  What are you really trying to accomplish?  

Dear Sir:

Respectfully....I have to disagree.  All my posts are not about like that.  Researching, and getting opinions about various issues is what others do. However, I value your opiniion and thank you for your insight about what an MBA can make someone accomplish.  I wish you the best in the future!

Dear Sir:

Respectfully....I have to disagree.  All my posts are not about like that.  Researching, and getting opinions about various issues is what others do. However, I value your opiniion and thank you for your insight about what an MBA can make someone accomplish.  I wish you the best in the future!

I'm going to have to agree with cinntsp. Your posts don't address "issues". Believe it or not a majority of your posts are about how to make the most money in the quickest amount of time... In which case your inquiring about the wrong profession. I have seen a few of your posts interrupt fine discussions simply to inquire about highest salaries and how soon can that be done. Maybe if you provided folks on this forum with your intentions in this profession you might get somewhere.

On top of this (and quite frankly the reason why I am posting) your passive "niceness" displayed in your rebuttals are quite annoying and somewhat insulting. If you want honest responses, ask a question that has some value. All of yours are easily accessible online, searching this forum (instead of asking the same question in a different form), or the salary report with AAPA.

Archived