Sterile technique in ED

Are there studies that have been done to evaluate the need for sterile technique for dirty procedures, such as I&Ds and suturing in the ED? Obviously central lines and lumbar punctures need to be done with sterile technique but I have worked in different settings where one place will advocate for sterile technique while suturing and another will not. I have been unable to find any data supporting either side. Thanks

You beat me to it with the Perelman sterile glove study.

There is also literature showing no benefit to using sterile saline for wound irrigation over simple tap water.  Here's a review from thennt.com (great site BTW) showing some of the literature, including a Cochran Review.

http://www.thennt.com/nnt/tap-water-for-wound-irrigation/

Love this study, it validates so much. What did we do when we were kids? Mom made you go "rinse it off real good." Turns out it wasn't such a bad idea. I'm instructed to have a lot more of my people that check in rinsing thoroughly in the sink as opposed to soaking in saline and betadyne these days.

Are there studies that have been done to evaluate the need for sterile technique for dirty procedures, such as I&Ds and suturing in the ED? Obviously central lines and lumbar punctures need to be done with sterile technique but I have worked in different settings where one place will advocate for sterile technique while suturing and another will not. I have been unable to find any data supporting either side. Thanks

That's how I read it

My general approach to both suturing (unless very large or complicated wound) and abscess drainage is to enter the room with a bottle of chlorhexidene.  After the assessment, I ask the patient (or their parent if a child) to wash the area while I get the supplies ready for the procedure.  I&D's are a clean, not sterile procedure.  I use sterile technique +/- draping depending on location for suturing.

Archived